FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What would you change about your current boat...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Telltale View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Telltale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you change about your current boat...
    Posted: 16 May 14 at 8:46am
Looking at the thread so far changes are all to do with well established classes, Laser, Phantom, Lightning, Merlin, Streaker does that mean that the new designs are spot on?
I have to say I can't see much I would want to change on a D zero!  Thumbs Up
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 9:28am
We were asked to make changes to our own boats... does anyone own a D zero yet?

I'd love to make changes to some boats I don't own - maybe many of us would own boats if there were design changes? However, that way lies discord - even the little stuff about Laser changes has caused bad feeling. Imagine what would happen if I suggested a Merlin should change to a smooth skin...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 9:35am
There is a smooth skin Merlin, it is called the MRX and it didn't take off.
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Rupert

I own a deposit on one....  I guess mentioning the D-zero is a bit like and ironic foil to this very discussion.

If you could change a Laser for the better, then you'd probably end up with something approaching the D-Zero...  (albeit almost certainly not as well executed as the professional combo of Holman and Devoti).  

But do I for one minute think that there's going to be a mass exodus at club or circuit level to replace the Laser, not on your nelly... for better or worse, dinghy sailing is far too conservative and risk averse.  It will be a slow burn before we see 'big numbers' to race against, if we ever do.  Even then from a completely personal POV, that strikes as a bit of a poisoned chalice.... I'd rather go for a beer after sailing than an ice bath and a banana smoothie.   

In my own little utopian bubble, I'd like to see D-Zero develop into a proper international class, with some great early retirement events to go to... a more relaxed Finn masters type affair... yep, that'd be nice.... so rather than today's 20, 30s,40s & early 50 something retiring into the Solo, they'd look to the D-Zero instead.  Good club racing to get the most out of life, with a few well attended events in nice locations for an added bonus. 

Edited by kneewrecker - 16 May 14 at 9:45am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 9:54am
Of the limited number of clubs I go to, I would guesstimate that the laser fleets started to decline a few years ago. Phantoms, streakers, solos' supernovas have all been 'evolved' together with Mikes work on the blaze, boats like the K1 etc. There was a time when you went to a club and you sailed a topper or a laser, that was pretty much it for single handers. I think that all of the boats above have sold in bigger numbers over the last few years. I also think the change is coming through the middle i.e the regular club sailors who are prepared to buy a new boat. Unless something radical happens with the Laser, which seems unlikely, I would anticipate this to accelerate. The Laser is and will remain at least for many years as the international boat and there will be a fleet of top laser guys who will continue to sail them. There will also be the most massive tail of people who have an old laser, don't tend to buy new boats and will continue to sail them. I do however think that the regular club sailor who tend to buy a new or nearly new boat every 3-4 years, is moving away from the laser and hence why both Devotti and RS will be trying hard to grab fleets at clubs.

If you had say a Laser, aero and Dzero all on the water and at similar prices and you gave them a good test sail, which would be chosen? 

Edited by SimonW99 - 16 May 14 at 9:55am
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 10:17am
Originally posted by SimonW99

If you had say a Laser, aero and Dzero all on the water and at similar prices and you gave them a good test sail, which would be chosen? 

The one your mates sail.... having been in the minority of Phantoms against an emerging core of 300s, I can assure you moving to the 300 proved all the more rewarding in every aspect of sailing.  I'm fairly confident had the boats been the other way around, and I'd moved from a 300 into a core of Phantom sailing, the positive experience would have been replicated.

The summer series of racing 300s at Draycote against 10 others (so we'd get 5 or 6 minimum each week), was without question, the best racing I've done since my uni team racing days.  

iitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 10:21am
Of course if one recommends changes to a class that are too extensive....it becomes another class. How about an open transom Byte? There could be a 'British Byte' (I am sure I saw a flicker in Mark Hartleys face when I suggested this). It could never happen of course with an International class of course but the Supernova is a very different beast to the one that Mark Giles built years ago. John Claridge made sensible modifications to Lightning which addressed owners problems with the original design. The new Lightnings seem faster but any boat 30 years younger probably would be. Graduate is another example of sensible modification. We had two of them racing in a DYS event last weekend. What great little boats they are now, no longer rotting hulks in the nettles but sparky little racers.

There is a difference between wishing for changes and wishing for a new class.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Rupert

No, but they already degraded it's single USP imv by doing away with the underfloor sheeting system in the name of economy, no doubt. That would be the first thing I'd try to restore a la Punk and if it's not possible it would be a deal breaker.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 10:28am
Originally posted by kneewrecker

Originally posted by SimonW99

The one your mates sail.... having been in the minority of Phantoms against an emerging core of 300s, I can assure you moving to the 300 proved all the more rewarding in every aspect of sailing.  I'm fairly confident had the boats been the other way around, and I'd moved from a 300 into a core of Phantom sailing, the positive experience would have been replicated.

The summer series of racing 300s at Draycote against 10 others (so we'd get 5 or 6 minimum each week), was without question, the best racing I've done since my uni team racing days.  

Yes of course you pick the boat your mates sail, but point being that in many clubs it is handicap racing so its less important, but if these boats are much better, fleets will form quickly. There were next to no supernovas at Cotswold a few years ago, there are 16 now... and one laser...

I just think that the Laser as a first pick boat at many clubs is finally in decline. If it hadn't been so mismanaged would that be the case... probably not. All carbon rig, better cut mylar main, centre sheeting ( or lose the transom hook ) , a proper supportive distributor and I doubt either of the new boats would have been launched. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 10:31am
Originally posted by iitick

John Claridge made sensible modifications to Lightning which addressed owners problems with the original design. 

You ought to see what he is doing to the seafly at the moment. Same hull, but flared deck and self draining. Hull is quick, so will be interesting when its finished.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>