FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do people think of t he 59er?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
59ermad View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 59ermad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 05 at 4:00pm

I've been sailing the 59er for a few years now. Its a fantastic little boat, but was ruined by silly marketing. Skiff for older sailors - no way?? Its actually quite a tricky beast, and makes an RS400 feel like a GP14.

It should have been marketed as the perfect skiff for areas where the wind is a bit gusty, which makes tracky trapezing. Its accelerates like a rocket on the slightest puff of breeze, which makes it great for Lakes and inland waters.   

swiftsolo.org View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote swiftsolo.org Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 7:13am

I have got some BIG news for you guys.

I was talking to Julian Bethwaite yesterday and it has been decided to offer the 59er with a trapeze. After chatting with the other 59er sailor here in Brisbane we have decided to go for it Tongue.

They agree with a lot of what has been said here - the initial marketing was wrong and putting the trap on is going to put the boat where it belongs - a real high performance skiff. If it has a yardstick of 902 now - as a hiking boat. What will it be with a trap?

The best thing I see is that 2 normal size guys will be able to get into skiff sailing and the trap will transform upwind performance. At the moment we struggle against the well sailed 505s upwind and go faster downwind. We should now be able to beat them to the top mark and leave them further behind after that!! 

I have ordered the parts from Bethwaites to do the conversion and I think it may be one of the first to be converted. I can't wait to sail it with this mod. Before anyone asks Julian is confident the existing mast can handle a trapeze. I guess I'll be finding out Wink.

Building a Swift Solo
First Australian Swift Solo
Sailing F28 Tri - family cruiser
Isis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 9:30am
whether or not it will transform performance, the 59er gained a lot of its fans through being a hiking boat, adding a wire just chucks it in with the masses if you ask me...
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote swiftsolo.org Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 9:06pm

Single string - the mast won't take two.

We don't have the 4000 over here, what weight can it take? Over here it is going to stack up as a more modern version of the 505.

Building a Swift Solo
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 9:31pm
Hm, i swear the whole idea was to have an asymmetric hiking skiff? No surely its similar to the 29er which is a roaring success....not trying to put a damper on things but that space is taken!
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 9:58pm
I wouldnt say that space is taken by the 29er, they are both aimed at very different weight ranges but i agree that adding a wire is pushing it out of what market it had
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 10:02pm

Adding the trapeze doesn't mean that all boats will take on the modification, I reckon the option will open the market up for the 59er, especially in the Southern Hemisphere.

Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

damp_freddie View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 05 at 1:59pm
I think the trap' is a good option, although I was told that the mast was not beefy enough.

Why not have a 505 replacement for big guys to go join their kids and compatriots on the 9er circuit?

As a retrofit I think it makes good sense- start sailing the boat without until your crew are competent and then move up and take the PY hit on the chin  I sailed the boat once in a fair old breeze 16knts-18knts average and at 170kg all up it did not need a trap, but okay you can of course take more power.

With a grands worth of carbon mast (one piece) I think I would avoid taking it out in 25 knts anyway..

No one would say addition of a trap' ruined the fireball or the 420 now would they?

We had the B14 e, which was the same idea, but people liked the hiking 'gap' int he market. The 59er will take time to find it's feet- as did the B14 -20 YEARS AGO! and needs some innovation in marketing and in what the class does with less than 6 boats at 9er events-

Squeeze out start lines?  - Start line only allows 3/4 of boats through.

Skiff Match racing- concentration on tactics on the hike out machine- ryules modified for skiff characteristics
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote swiftsolo.org Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 05 at 10:51pm

Report on the 59er with trapeze fitted.

• Fitting the trapeze system. This was very easy, it attaches to the bolt on the second set of spreaders. We attached some turning blocks to the chainplates for the lower stays and fed the shockcord forward in front of the mast to the other side. I also fitted some larger blocks to handle bigger loads on the spinnaker sheets.
  • Sailing performance. We have only sailed it once so far and the conditions were about 12 - 15 knots of breeze. The first impression I got which I was a little surprised about was that it makes the boat easier to handle. The extra righting moment that we had means that you don't have to dump power as much. Upwind the boat was definitely more powered up. I will need to modify my helming technique for the boat with the trapeze as I was feathering the boat up a little too much instead of going a little lower and much faster. We only just caught the start of the second race due to rigging the trapeze so it is hard to get a really feel for what the modification has done to our boat speed versus other classes just yet. Certainly the 505s weren't just sailing away from us upwind as they have in these conditions in the past. Downwind was great fun! We put the kite up and headed up to heat the boat up and away she went. It is important to keep the helm movements smooth as I nearly put my crew around the forestay when I was bearing off to keep the boat flat! I may consider putting some foot loops on in due course to help the crew stay attached to the boat. We have already put non slip along the gunwale and this is a must.
  • The modification has certainly sparked some interest at our club a couple of 505 guys were chatting to me about it afterwards and one is keen to go out and see what it is like.    
Building a Swift Solo
Shingle View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shingle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 05 at 12:24pm
Being as only 40 or so exist in the UK, it can only be to the boat's benefit to try to make it appeal to a wider audience, as it's going nowhere in it's current incarnation. Not sure what to set the trapeze PY, I would certainly welcome a wire to dangle on and make strong wind sailing more pleasurable.
Drink Feck girls!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>