FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dart 18 vs Hobie 16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dart 18 vs Hobie 16
    Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 1:50pm
Sailing on the south coast torn between a hobie 16 and a dart 18 been holding out for dart  but a hobie 16 has come up don't know what to go for wont be racing just for fun somtimes solo sometimes with a crew i am a fair size chap at 110kg  crew will vary. 

Edited by bicrider - 14 Apr 14 at 1:56pm
Owenfackrell View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owenfackrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 3:30pm
I had a dart 18 and use to sail it solo. I'm 85kg and it was only in stronger winds did I suffer (and that's more to do with me than the boat). I would still have one and the only reason I don't is that I want some thing I could take down to the south of France easily so I have a catapult instead. I don't have an experiance of a hobie 16 to compare it to.
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 4:20pm
Hi Owen
 I bet a catapult s ideal for that my dad looked at them about 20 years ago but i think there was not very many second hand at the time. are they any good in a rough sea? they always seam to ride very low to the water to me
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owenfackrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 6:55pm
They do ride low and it's a wet ride but I have found mine ok in waves including sailing it in the med where the boat was coming out past the dagger boards before slaming back down. You right there are not that many but they do come up from time to time.
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owenfackrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 6:56pm
I'm based near Southampton if you want to arrange to see one and have a go.
Wee Man View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wee Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 6:57pm
Hobie 16, most fun you can have with clothes on....once you've mastered it, I had one for a few years before moving up to an Hobie 18 which was boring & heavy in comparison. In big wind & waves it's an absolute hoot. Light winds it frustrated the hell out of me. Jib is powerful enough to tip it in if you get it on the wrong side in a tack, but you might need to back it to get it to tack. It'll capsize forwards, sideways & backwards if you get the trim wrong.
If you're looking at one, pick up one hull and see how much flex there is between the hulls as the pilons can be a bit wobbly.
If you're on a beach with a bit of surf there is nothing better.
Nacra Infusion F18
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 7:24pm
Good evening Owen
thank you for the the offer but i not really after one of them it will be left outside at the local club and i don't trust the local yobs that have easy access to the boat park and i think an air fill boat would be to tempting for them to try and puncture. 
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 7:30pm
Hi Wee man 
                   Sounds fun have looked on you tube and looks like you can get it back up quite easy is this true when your solo?

Wee Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wee Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 8:14pm
I never sailed it single handed sorry, but yeah it was a hell of a laugh. As long as the mast is properly sealed and doesn't fill up it can be righted quickly....you could always fit a hideous blimp floats to the mast head for single handed sailing, but I didn't say that if anyone asks.
Nacra Infusion F18
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 4:34pm
Purchased a dart 18 over the weekend any tips before first sail?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>