FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crap Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crap Day.
    Posted: 11 Sep 14 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Rupert

doing it on purpose just isn't the same

True, and similarly while many beginners' capsizes are simple blowings over to leeward on the beat or reach, experts' capsizes tend to be more often to windward after pushing too hard.  Windward capsizes on a reach/run tend to lead to fast inversions with both crew in the water and little opportunity to climb over the high side onto the board.  Altogether more hassle, especially when wind and waves complicate the righting process.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 14 at 5:48pm
A very good point. I capsized to leeward once this year, something I dont recall doing for about 6years! Most capsizes for experienced people come during gybes or as you say, pushing too hard and getting wiped off the windward side.
Biggest mistake most people make once capsized is to hang off of the boat or the rig. An inversion can often be avoided by leaving the boat alone and swimming around as quickly as possible.
drifter View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 14 at 5:53pm
I'm glad it's not just me! I've put the Albacore over twice this year; more than the last 4 put together I think. The Grad has only been over once in 6 years. Maybe it's lack of practice but it takes ages to get the Alb back up; I've ditched it for one with more buoyancy, which might not help!
Stewart
iiitick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 14 at 6:35pm
Ah, we are getting an attack of honesty here! The reason I gave up sailing Byte C2 is because it kept falling over! Bear away, not sheet out quickly enough....plop.....invert.....get it back up....not nimble enough to leap back in so over it came on top of me. Lightning much more stable!
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 14 at 2:10pm
guys- it's a watersport, no harm in getting a little bit wet every now and again.  Although that said, I did offer a 'For F*cks Sake' at myself for falling off my board mid tack at NWF last weekend, then some nice gentleman said to me, 'don't worry son, it doesn't matter' and then lifted my mast tip with his foot as he went past.  He had a nice attitude... no doubt if it were a dinghy event someone would have told us we both 'broke the rules' and his action was grossly unfair.  
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 14 at 2:23pm
I dunno, if someone capsizes I'll always check that they are OK before I start laughing. More difficult to give any real help, though, barring in an emergency.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
balladsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote balladsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 14 at 7:54pm
A great day turned into a crap day!
Having a blast in my Supernova between races at Sailfest, ran aground at speed! Spectacular pitch pole but no obvious damage so sailed on and completed the weekend.
Since then I have suffered with horrendous sciatica; missed the Inlands last week, spent the day in A&E, and the doctors think it was the capsize that started it all off.  now that's what I call a crap day!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 14 at 7:57pm
Oh sh*t sorry to hear about that, my crew has got a horrid bout of sciatica, not pleasant at all.
balladsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote balladsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 14 at 11:20pm
You wouldn't wish it on anybody ...... I have never experienced pain like it .... My other half says it's not as bad as childbirth though!
A mix of cocodomol and iboprufen seem to be working; hoping to be fit for Bart's Bash!
iiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 8:30am
You have my sympathy Gordon.....it happened to me some years ago when my children were small. I thought my working life was over. Pain so bad I was offered morphine! But, you know it cleared up and never came back so there is hope!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>