FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finish line kerfuffle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finish line kerfuffle
    Posted: 16 Mar 14 at 6:56pm
So, odd one today at Grafham.

Scene setting, preamble:

Morning racing is run with the asymmetric fleet doing windward-leeward, using the leeward gate, positioned to starboard of the committee boat (looking up the course) as a down wind finish line. Meanwhile the other fleets, using the same windward mark, do a round the can course, finishing upwind to port of the committee boat. Racing is average lap

Today the morning racing included a 2-race Sprint 15 traveller. They were using the RTC course. Quite a few visitors.

Over on the asymmetrics, in the B14 despite being rusty we were cheerfully flying, and had opened a healthy gap (as we should) on a 400 and 4000, and a lap on the 2000s and 200. So much, that the RC put the S flag (finish at end of lap) just after we passed through the gate (so they could start finishing Lasers etc). So we head off on an extra lap more than everyone else, hoping that the wind stays up, whilst boats finish.

Down the run we're hooning along, and screw up a gybe near the bottom of the run. We take ages to get upright (bit rusty!). Lots more boats finish.

Upright, we decide that we're close to the line so go two sail towards it. Quick tack, off at an angle, tack again, approach line on starboard.

Situation:

We're approaching the finish line (green winged monohull) between gate marks G. A gaggle of Sprint 15s are stalled out on port tack across the length of our line. Our calls for "starboard" and "we're trying to finish" are met with bafflement- I later figure they're visiting boats and poorly briefed

Having to take avoiding action didn't, realistically, have an impact on our finish position, what with the lengthy capsize. It potentially could have. If they'd been there as we tried to finish with the spinnaker up, we'd almost certainly have had to round up hard, probably capsizing, to avoid a collision if they'd been so sluggish.

If we'd protested, what result could actually have been achieved? They weren't racing. They seemed unaware they were blocking our race course. On a simple level it was port-starboard, with us on starboard. But could any action have been taken against them? I guess at least a talking to might have been useful.
-_
Al
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 14 at 7:11pm
From the preamble to Section 2 of the RRS
The rules of Part 2 apply between boats that are sailing in or near the racing area and intend to race, are racing, or have been racing.

However, a boat not racing shall not be penalized for breaking one of these rules, except rule 24.1.

When a boat sailing under these rules meets a vessel that is not, she shall comply with the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (IRPCAS) or government right-of-way rules. If the sailing instructions so state, the rules of Part 2 are replaced by the right-of-way rules of the IRPCAS or by government right-of-way rules.

So RRS apply. Quite what penalties apply I'm not sure.

Edited by JimC - 16 Mar 14 at 7:31pm
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 14 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by JimC

The rules of Part 2 apply between boats that are sailing in or near the racing area and intend to race, are racing, or have been racing.

However, a boat not racing shall not be penalized for breaking one of these rules, except rule 24.1.

When a boat sailing under these rules meets a vessel that is not, she shall comply with the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (IRPCAS) or government right-of-way rules. If the sailing instructions so state, the rules of Part 2 are replaced by the right-of-way rules of the IRPCAS or by government right-of-way rules.

So RRS apply. Quite what penalties apply I'm not sure.

So they are breaking rule 10 (P/S) AND rule 24.1

24.1 If reasonably possible, a boat not racing shall not interfere with a boat that is racing.

So, if validly protested they can be penalised.

64.1 Penalties and Exoneration
When the protest committee decides that a boat that is a party to a protest hearing has broken a rule ... it shall disqualify her ... If a boat has broken a rule when not racing, her penalty shall apply to the race sailed nearest in time to that of the incident.

Al said 
I later figure they're visiting boats and poorly briefed.

and

Having to take avoiding action didn't, realistically, have an impact on our finish position

So dinging visitors who weren't aware they were interfering when it didn't make any difference to your race would be unwelcoming, and using your discretion not to protest seems like a good idea.

But for arrogant or lazy locals who are sprawling all over your race course:  rule 24.1 is the way to go.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 14 at 10:00pm
So if I get in the way one Sunday when out for a cruise, a protest could impinge on my result the following weekend?

Or are we, more logically, only dealing with boats who are waiting around between races?

I have been in plenty of multi fleet events where boats which have finished end up in the way. As protesting a boat in a different fleet would on the surface seem pretty futile, I've never done anything abut it. But maybe it would buck up the ideas of the rest of the fleet.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 14 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Rupert

So if I get in the way one Sunday when out for a cruise, a protest could impinge on my result the following weekend?

Or are we, more logically, only dealing with boats who are waiting around between races?
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Rupert

I have been in plenty of multi fleet events where boats which have finished end up in the way. As protesting a boat in a different fleet would on the surface seem pretty futile, I've never done anything abut it. But maybe it would buck up the ideas of the rest of the fleet.
If someone who should know better screws up your finish, then protest them under rule 24.1.

If it's a prevalent problem, then complain to the Race Committee and they can take some action such as putting a reminder in SI or a notice to competitors, or creating a closed finishing area.
 Post Reply Post Reply