FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cracking Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
iiiiticki View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracking Day.
    Posted: 04 Jul 16 at 9:19am
Cracking day yesterday at Combs. Brisk wind and sun sparkling on waves. I think my old Lightning went faster in my hands than ever before! My slot gasket made of damp proof course worked as well.
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 16 at 10:33am
Originally posted by gordon1277

Phantom is a delight to sail.

They are lovely boats, I don't know why I'm buggering about with my EPS when I have a mini phantom doing nothing in the boat park down the lake.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 16 at 10:30am
Brilliant evening race
All day the forecast backed up by bramblmet had been light and rubbish but 4.30pm late sea breeze really great 4/5 sunshine with solent chop/ waves to play with downwind.
Best sail of the season so far, Phantom is a delight to sail.
Gordon
Lossc
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 16 at 11:02am
Wellllllllll, maybe not so much 'cracking' as 'at least I got over my meltdown'
At our clubs Lightning368 Open a few weeks back I ended up in a 'totally and utterly lost the plot in biblical style' situation. Enough for me to not race in the afternoon and take a couple of weeks off.
Anyway, reinventing the Roger Melly profanisaurus was, in hindsight, perhaps a positive outcome!

The weekend just gone I decided, after a bit of a sailing break, to 'just go sailing'.
Took the 600 out on Saturday on our front lake full of gusts, swirls, dead spots, massive shifts and more gusts (ideal then!!! :-\) ...3 little capsizes but it still makes me smile. TBF it was just a test float to check out some daggerboard case work I'd done.

Sunday? - a bit of club racing in the Lightning to see if I could get my mojo back. Nice breeze, good courses, nice planing, good splashage at times and whilst I wouldn't say I'm fully over it, I reckon i'm 80% there.
So, overall, the chance to sail 2 days in a row with two different boats and still have a smile and aching bones after it makes it a 'Good day' (or two):-)

Edited by fleaberto - 25 Apr 16 at 11:04am
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 16 at 7:45pm
Our first cracking day this year lots out, Sunny offshore 10-14mph, lots of boats lots of cyclists and the natural order of things restored on the water, over the wate,r with the EPS finishing three minutes clear... Nothing like shifts and a bit of tide to sort the men from the boys...

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 15 at 3:50pm
HI
Did the Hillhead triangulation race yesterday, lovely sail down from Lee, bad start and nearly hit a 600 rack when he tacked having not seen me, but overall an excelent fun sail and managed 3rd overall.
Sun, small chop, unique race thats a bit of fun which you never know how its going to turn out and SE force 4 building to 5/6 for the bad bit the long beat back to Lee after racing.
Thanks Hillhead SC I was suprised at being the only visitor from Lee.
Gordon
Gordon
Lossc
Woodburner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 15 at 9:28am
More a cracking weekend, than just the one day, at one point two of us in the race box just had to wonder what our lives would have been like without sailing.
We had the Snipes down over the weekend, getting them on and off the beach with their fixed rudders was a feat all of its own, then on the Sunday the Contenders joined them and we pitched in with our club race at 11, a very busy beach front, I haven't seen so many boats at Hythe since the hey days of the Scorpions. 
The place was really buzzing, then the cyclists turned up.. This has been a brilliant experiment, they meet at the club before setting off on their ride, then return mid morning whilst we're still out on the water. This has had the effect of a couple of converts and more signed up for courses later in the summer, just goes to show the potential for crossover from mixed sports clubs.

The wind made things interesting, delivering just about every point of the compass some times on the same leg, but it kept the sea reasonably flat until the last couple of races when it kicked back round to SW, one of the rescue boats conked out the entire fleet decided to comes ashore which made for and interesting moment.

But it looked like everyone was enjoying the conditions without too many exceptions and it's given us the taste to host some more and some of our members got crew rides in the snipes, although hopefully without encouraging any more participants in our fleet, not the ideal boat to get off. (You stand off up to your neck holding the stern whilst the crew attempts to attach a rudder assembly as the waves roll in and the boat pitches up and down.. great fun. LOL)

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 15 at 4:53pm
Hi
First race officer duty of the year last night, the sun was out, light winds and low tide but nobody moaned (Not to amazed as Paul was not around) when we set extra long line and a running start to get away from the shallows. Shortish windward leewards lots of laps planned just in case the wind improved, but only managed two as the wind began to die but all boats finished and somebody even came up and said well done in the bar.
All this on a makeshift starting area while new changing rooms are being built.
Good news all round I avoided a really light wind race, and get average points!
Gordon
Lossc
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 8:41pm
Cracking racing in strong, gusty conditions for our first sail since November and the first time we've managed to sail the red Albacore to its handicap! 2nd in the pursuit after starting 5 minutes late (as usual even though we start last anyway) and first in the afternoon handicap, lapping everyone, and managing to beat the dayboat and topaz by more than the required 9 minutes.
So the recipe for winning in the Albacore is:
20mph+ gusting 30mph+ winds, bouncing off the trees as they whip down the lake.
Many sailors pulling out having seen the forecast,
Laser sailors changing to radial rigs,
Heavyweight helm and crew determined to make a race of it and keep the boat upright!
So can we have that weather again please to justify the harsh handicap?
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 15 at 9:08am
Cracking race in the D-Zero yesterday. Was only intending to go for a blast but signed on 'just in case'. Was the only boat not to go over.

Certainly silenced our armchair sailors who were predicting armageddon and me being bough back in on the rescue boat.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>