FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

60kg 16 yr old looking for singlehander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Ruscoe View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60kg 16 yr old looking for singlehander
    Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 2:23pm
I really would not recommend a trapeze boat at South Cerney, its a small lake lined with trees and holiday homes.  Which will have more holiday homes built around it in the very near future.  It will be flukey as hell!  There are a couple of 300's at South Cerney now, so why not ask if you can have a go.  Gary Morris is a nice guy and i'm sure he will be keen to grow the fleet.  (It has always just about started to build then dropped off in the past)  If you want fleet racing you wont beat a Solo there, but you will need a very bendy rig and will be making firends with blokes 4 times your age.  

If it were me i would be looking at a Streaker and trying to build a fleet of like minded friends. 

AlexM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Steve411

Originally posted by Dignhysailor

Originally posted by Steve411

Originally posted by Dignhysailor

Thanks, that sounds like good advice! With the handicap, does the 300 'work' for handicap racing, as it is 995, which surely means it's hard to be competitive in this type of racing?

Now 990 (and we're not complaining). It's absolutely fine as the handicap goes and it is competitive on handicap once you have learned to sail the boat properly. You're a bit light for a B (big) rig at 60kg (the lightest B rig helm at last year's Nationals was 68), but you could probably get away with it inland in most conditions. The A rig is slightly less sail area but the rig is a lot bendier so less powerful.

We have one 16 year old in the fleet already,who's doing rather well. http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/174777/Crewsaver-Tipsy-Icicle-Series-day-8 That's him in the pic.

Thanks,this has sort of made up my mind, as the handicap was one of the things that I was most unsure of!

I would still recommend having a go in one before buying.

And we're using 980 as H'cap at L&L
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234