FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane 500

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane 500
    Posted: 25 Feb 14 at 7:56am
Thank for the advice catmandoo food for thought 
Sprint Bob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprint Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 6:45am
Originally posted by catmandoo

Used to race against one in our club , they werent very good upwind , but  pretty quick down , just about made up for the poor upwind performance :) , cant remember if the performance down wind was due to a kite , but was pre chute days .

Prob not , think I was sailing a uncorn at time which trounced it .

This particular one  was recalled as it was falling apart , splitting up centre seams , was a prob with early ones , rather than get a replacement boat , the owner upgraded to a tornado.

It was also sailed singlehanded , not to great effect , but he didnt fly a kite . which you must on a boat like this for a look in these days .

It had a righting pole to help get it back up , it had an impressive tall rig .

Ive heard of them being given away literally , so dont pay much , unless its been pimped with good sails and a chute launching spin, even then its dual performance is something to watch out for ,

giving the boat benefit of doubt , it may have been way it was sailed upwind being the prob , but we couldnt see that far back ;)

Yes - not a successful class and one which was not properly developed or debugged. There are still a couple at Grafham but they are hardly ever sailed. The hulls were very bulbous and were flatish underneath to promote planing. The trouble was huge leeway so they grafted on a couple of flat rib keels to act as skegs. They are Naf. The next problem was they floated very high on the water especially when capsized. The consequence of this was the boat proved impossible to right. So the next piece of Heath Robinson modification involved a righting pole which stuck out the back when sailing. In a capsize you swing it round and use it for leverage to help right the boat. There were many other issues and they never went very well.
Much better to hold out for a dart.
Cheers
Bob

Edited by Sprint Bob - 05 Mar 14 at 1:03pm
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 7:29am
Thanks Bob 
I am starting to see why they are so cheep.
Starting to see there are more darts for sail in the last week or so 
catmandoo View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 1:09pm
Bob dont think the skegs were an afterthought !

they must have had them from the start . theres no way they ever tried sailing a flat bottom boat up wind without anything to stop leeway , that way lies madness and whiteformula had too much experience for that .

hull shapes werent to riduculous , stealths pretty similar and with daggerboards work a treat , as im sure you will agree .

highly bouyant flat bottom boats do poise a challenge to get back on board , on my stealth sxl I have a line tied  from mast step to one forestay fitting , slack enough to hang just below water , which I can kneel on then stand , to get back on board , when not in use is hooked onto dolphinstriker stay with plastic hook and bungee to take slack out . I sail solo , 

Cant lay claim to this saw it on a 5.9 and plagarised . 

would be interesting project to saw off the skegs of a 500 and put in daggerboards , but a lot of  difficult work for something that would have little value 

Edited by catmandoo - 05 Mar 14 at 1:17pm
bicrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote bicrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 4:51pm
Maybe it was going to have boards originally after looking a the pic of the one that was for sale last week the skegs did look like an afterthought i would boards would make it better, did see a set of hull on ebay for £80 did not sell. I must admit i did think it had boards from memory. Maybe they were going to market it as a beach cat at the last minute  to go up against the hobie 16 for easy beach launching.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12