FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Defeat at the hands of Europe!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
laser4000 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defeat at the hands of Europe!
    Posted: 17 Feb 14 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by iGRF

A picture of the offender mid tack, by this time I'm now back in 4th having been over taken by the rooster and my Hythe club mate in his Laser, but neither of them caught her she was that quick

Doesn't look much like hythe - where is it?
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 14 at 10:05pm
That is Redoubt lake, probably the single best training tool any aspiring sea sailor can have on his doorstep.

Here, many years ago, I learned to deal with fast oscillating wind shifts, wind shadows, close order board to board tactics, mark rounding, gust control, in essence everything the inland sailor takes for granted, so now I'm applying it to my woeful single hander sailboat skill set and enjoying every minute, albeit probably far too little much to late, but it's fun just the same.

As I said just last sunday, to Mike Smailes who's been a stalwart of the Redoubt S.C. for many many years longer than either of us care to remember, it's unlikely anyone can become a true sailing champion without first learning what Redoubt has to offer.

Edited by iGRF - 17 Feb 14 at 10:06pm
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 9:51am
You could do a lot worse than try a Europe Graham. Really sweet boats built for people like us that are normal size and very rewarding to sail.

Ian
RS300
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 10:04am
What are you saying Ian? People like us that sail like girls?

Wish I could sail like those Topper & Europe girls

Edited by iGRF - 18 Feb 14 at 10:05am
blaze720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 10:07am
You can get really well sorted Europes for relative peanuts. 

Not the fastest things around but if you want properly fast you need a different sort of boat.. or hydrofoils, or more than one hull etc etc.   If you are 'right' for them they do go very nicely indeed.  Years of incremental developement within the rules made them a very very 'sweet' and refined boat to sail and if the nut on the end of the tiller is any good they can spank good and hard !

Greame - I think you would learn a great deal from a season or two in one- you are very probably just about the right sort of weight as well ... and with the bonus I'm sure you would appreciate that they have many more women in them than most other more 'crusty' macho classes !  

Why not prize open the Fuller purse and if the moths have left anything that still looks like of legal
tender get one ... Wink

Mike L.
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 11:05am
Originally posted by iGRF

That is Redoubt lake, probably the single best training tool any aspiring sea sailor can have on his doorstep.

Here, many years ago, I learned to deal with fast oscillating wind shifts, wind shadows, close order board to board tactics, mark rounding, gust control, in essence everything the inland sailor takes for granted, so now I'm applying it to my woeful single hander sailboat skill set and enjoying every minute, albeit probably far too little much to late, but it's fun just the same.

As I said just last sunday, to Mike Smailes who's been a stalwart of the Redoubt S.C. for many many years longer than either of us care to remember, it's unlikely anyone can become a true sailing champion without first learning what Redoubt has to offer.

That looks like open water compared to Shearwater. Come and try our wind shifts Graham.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 5:00pm
I had to Google that Shearwater, can see what that would be like, having said that I've sailed worse, Wraysbury for one.

As to the Europe, you don't see them about, none on Apolloduck, tbh it was one on my list to look at, but I'm still enjoying the EPS even though it'll never deliver silverware, the sheer frustration of trying to work out why I can't make it go fast some times is an end all of it's own, honestly I'm doing worse in it now than I did when I first got it and that is now a mission, but I have at least solved one thing with my garden hose traveller system (patent applied for).

Edited by iGRF - 18 Feb 14 at 5:01pm
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 5:07pm
Ive sailed Wraysbury as well. Shearwater definitely worse. In northerly or southerly winds we have boats sailing downwind towards each other. Come and try us. I may lend you a classic boat for the cvrda event there.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 5:11pm
Wraysbury also looks like open water right now.

I can vouch for Shearwater being very interesting.
the same, but different...

Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 14 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by winging it

Wraysbury also looks like open water right now.

Cry Clap Cry Clap
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 page
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>