FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

D-Zero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 150151152153154 159>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-Zero
    Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 7:55am
Jim, do you mean generically the aft main was still common, or that true aft main was/is allowed in the Laser?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 9:07am
Generically still common.

but I think a true centremain would have been a right pain in a Laser. Don't want to move sheet position for ergonomics, so would have needed loads of purchase which would be loads of friction with 1970s plain bearing blocks and the thick sheets we used when gloves were an unusual luxury.

Edited by JimC - 03 Jul 16 at 9:17am
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 11:01am
5 out of 7 of my boats are aft main, which puts me firmly in the 70s!

I liked the upside down version the punk used, though I suspect there were friction issues. I can see it working well in a doublehander where you want to sheet centrally rather than to transom edge.
sandgrounder View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Rupert

I liked the upside down version the punk used, though I suspect there were friction issues.

None whatsoever, I sailed the Punk virtually every day for a month and didn't encounter any friction issues.

Edited by sandgrounder - 03 Jul 16 at 4:00pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 6:07pm
Glad to hear that. Why the D Zero not use it?

Was talking to someone at the club today who broke his shoulder a while back, and when he switched from Comet to Laser, discovered that he simply couldn't pull a mainsheet from that angle. He has converted his Laser to aft main. He hasn't tried it yet, but will report back!
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 16 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Rupert

Glad to hear that. Why the D Zero not use it?

It is a pretty complex system and cost was an issue. The 3 pre-production boats had the facility to go for the sheeting that way. The production boats have a different deck mould which does not have the channel in the floor.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 16 at 9:09am
This thing about breaking Laser booms with centre sheeting.....on my 'modernised' Lightning I have a round boom instead of the old square girder one. This boom is made from an old Mirror mast. Yesterday was pretty windy, in fact I was pleased at my self for going out. Lightning booms are very long and the sail is Laser size but after three years my boom is not broken or bent. So, if centre sheeting a Laser on the existing boom is a problem just fit a Mirror mast! (No one will ever know).
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 16 at 9:17pm
I converted a Mirror mast into a Minisail boom, too. A bit heavy, but certainly strong!

Heavier that the Lightning Needlespar girder, I'd say, but more rounded for collisions with noggin.
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 16 at 9:40pm
It hits my head like a kiss from a beautiful woman.....
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 20 at 3:49pm
I know this is a very old, very long thread,  but it’s a very hot day and I am bored. 
I really enjoyed it from start to finish , made me feel very nostalgic for the range of contributors we used to have. 
Oh well things change . Hope everyone is well out there in forum land Big smile

Edited by zeon - 11 Aug 20 at 3:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 150151152153154 159>