FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another breezy one - another spanking.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
rb_stretch View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another breezy one - another spanking.
    Posted: 06 Feb 14 at 7:49pm
Just looked at some photos to remind myself of the EPS setup and see that it only has lowers that attach at the boom. Basically the gooseneck is fixed, which makes me think that the kicker might not be quite so effective on an EPS.

I imagine a lot of the effort is trying to overcome friction and the relatively poor geometry in the gnav.

laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 14 at 8:24pm
Loosen the lowers then...?
pondlife1736 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondlife1736 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 14 at 8:41pm
There aren't any other shrouds, it's basically an unstayed rig. Not sure what the purchase is (8:1?) but the EPS GNAV bars seem to be a weak point. The whole setup looks much less robust than say the 300.

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 14 at 9:28pm
I suspect that for that rig you want the leeward lower to be just slack most of the time. That should mean the mats is not restricted in any way and truly acting unstayed.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 14 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by laser193713

I suspect that for that rig you want the leeward lower to be just slack most of the time.

The lowers really aren't lowers at all in a functional sense. What goes on with that rig is that its designed as a conventional unstayed rig in a deep hull, much like a Finn or an OK, except that instead of the deep hull with the top bearing being the deck, its a shallow hull, and the "deck" bearing is a ball bearing supported in place by what look like lowers but really ought to be thought of as wire deck beams!!
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 14 at 8:54am
so, they're essentially a wire 'space frame' to use 90's terminology we don't hear much these days?

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 14 at 9:10am
My point still stands... the longer the bury measurement of the mast the stiffer it will be. I would imagine that having these shrouds (spaceframe whatever you want to call it) slightly less than bar tight would make the mast feel like it was being supported over less of its length. This would allow more mast bend. If this is not the case then I still suggest more kicker. If you break the gnav then you've probably pulled it just about hard enough. Plenty of lube on all the gnav parts too should make things a little easier!
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 14 at 11:13am
If its not being raced in class, then maybe replace the gnav with a conventional kicker? As much purchase as you want / need then...
Nick
D-Zero 316

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 14 at 11:20am
Don't replace it with a normal kicker or you really will never bend that mast. If you are worried about the GNAV arm then buy a stronger one from selden and fit that. http://www.seldenmast.com/products/dinghies_only/booms/gnav_system.html 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 14 at 11:44am
A small sail is the answer, the one that was designed for people my weight, but to date I can't find other than by buying another complete boat with two rigs, a small sail and mast top combo which will presumably have their luff curves matched.

As to the lowers, they do act like a deck or space frame, but with the advantage of being adjusted for rake, I really need to make them single wire adjustable, at the moment the only control is via an adjustable forestay I think I might have fashioned after the original broke and dismasted me mid race, forcing the most embarrassing moment of my entire waterborne career, being 'rescued' on a puddle by two girls in a coracle, me, who has sailed the high seas around the world without major incident rescue wise.

This lake humbles even the biggest ego...

Edited by iGRF - 07 Feb 14 at 11:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>