FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adjusting controls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjusting controls
    Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 8:23am
What is this board adjustment you speak of ;-)

Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 8:50am
Originally posted by mongrel

When over-powered I would leave everything as is and concentrate on sheeting, then bring the board up a bit. 

Try that in a Laser or anything else with low freeboard and you are almost guaranteed a swim as the boom hits the water. That along with having to overuse the rudder (probably stalling it out) and forcing the boat to bear away simply is not fast.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Neptune

What is this board adjustment you speak of ;-)

oh, I remember those days... when foils aligned perfectly, and were neither too big, nor too small and were simply 'just right' for all points of sail, even a muppet could appreciate their beauty.  
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 11:05am
Board adjustment is the thing you remember you haven't done when you go to put it down at the leeward mark, isn't it?

Otherwise, in a boat with a low boom, in a breeze you have to dump some kicker or the bear away will end in tears.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 11:19am
In both my 600 and Musto board adjustment is pretty much put it in when you launch and pull it out when you come in. Not sure either boat actually would go any faster if you adjusted it.

Outhall, used to adjust it a little in my 600, but the Musto never adjust once set up - although with the boom angle pulling on kicker and Cunningham effectively self adjusts it.

Cunningham off on any trapeze boat I have owned before windward mark. White sail reach a single handed trap boat unless underpowered leave kicker in the upwind position.
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 11:35am
In my Laser I concentrate on windward heal to assist a good mark rounding (and keeping the boom out the water) and dont touch anything until I am safely around the mark and have made sure that I am not about to get rolled. I encourage everyone else to fiddle with the controls straight after rounding the mark as it allows me to roll them easier while they have their head in the boat!

patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 6:52am
Looking at the controls of our latest boat (Albacore) this all sounds like it's easy for singlehanders - as well as kicker, cunningham, outhaul and centreboard, doublehanders have to work out what to do with the shrouds - mast ram - jib tension which are all led back to the helm!

Then we've the wide Merlin to learn which is a whole new vocabulary of pullers, tweakers and snodgers!

Edited by patj - 19 Dec 13 at 6:53am
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 13 at 6:56am
Pfft, not all double handers are complicated. On the B14, if there's enough breeze that we're using the kicker & Cunningham, it's simply dump a load as we go for the bear away- if the kicker's left on, like most boats it'll be hard to bear away, whilst if the cunningham's left on it's a superb way to help snap the mast- then with the fourth hand pull a bit of kicker back on once back out on the wing after hoisting.
-_
Al
bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 14 at 10:08am
Depends on whether you're bearing away onto a reach or a run... if going onto a run and it's breezy I leave the downhaul on a bit to keep the draught forwards in the sail and facilitate the bear away (laser).
Telltale View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Telltale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 14 at 1:33pm
OK assuming we all have rounded the mark and the bear away is without incident I've got a question for the control adjustment at the bottom mark, does it make a difference which way round you set the boat up for the beat? I.e. do you set cunningham first or kicker first or doesn't it make the slightest difference?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>