FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Posh Test - School v2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Posh Test - School v2
    Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 5:25pm
Peaky, I fear your state education did not teach you to write a good question/answer pair ...

Simple question, was your education state delivered (for free - e.g. grammar, high, secondary modern,) or did you go to an independent school (even if you had a grant to subsidise it)? 

This question needs the answer options:

State or Independent ...

I'm not sure the yes / no options will get an accurate record.

If you want yes no options the question should read ...

Simple question, was your education state delivered (for free - e.g. grammar, high, secondary modern)?

Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 5:32pm
Peaky you should know that independently educated types are far too busy exploiting peasants and laughing in a snorty manner to look at interweb forums.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 5:43pm
There seems to be an implication that if your parents paid for your schooling, then you are posh. A very odd concept indeed. Mine weren't in a position to, and nor am I, but having an income high enough to do so, and the inclination to do so, merely makes you a reasonably well off caring parent, surely. If that is the definition of posh, then it doesn't mean very much any more.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Rupert

There seems to be an implication that if your parents paid for your schooling, then you are posh. A very odd concept indeed. Mine weren't in a position to, and nor am I, but having an income high enough to do so, and the inclination to do so, merely makes you a reasonably well off caring parent, surely. If that is the definition of posh, then it doesn't mean very much any more.

Not exclusively so but I would expect a big overlap between the posh population and the privately educated population ...

Few posh people attend state schools but the private education sector does now accept oiks with rich parents as needs must these days ... Wink
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 6:22pm
Supply and demand- my own limited private schooling was nothing short of a crash course in oikishness... For those that have a requirement to know where that was, see Jodie Marsh's documentary on bullying. We were in the same classics club....

My academic performance and general well being improved enormously thanks to the 90's recession and a change of school circumstances... As did my sailing, finally freeing up the third kevball session of the week for Open meetings. although kevball proved quite popular given the number of kids who were in someway associated with its glitterati of the time

Edited by yellowwelly - 10 Dec 13 at 6:31pm
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 6:47pm
IMHO anyone that uses the term "kevball" subconsciously considers themselves posh.
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 6:51pm
I don't use it subconsciously... Or is your syntax wrong there?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 7:07pm
Why a humble opinion? 
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Thunder Road View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thunder Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 9:38am
Does this subject have anything to do with sailing or indeed life? Perhaps the class warriors need to get into the Christmas spirit?
Finn GBR16 Thunder Road.
Peaky View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 10:05am
No class warrior here - I'm not making any judgement on whether being posh is good or bad. Indeed, I really don't care. But the statement was made that sailing is for posh people.

I think it is fair to say that the average privately educated person is posher than the average state school kid (with many, many exceptions, but that's the way averages work). So if sailing IS for posh people, then we may expect a higher than normal number of privately eduacated sailors.

Do I care if that happens to be the case? Nope. As long as the opportunity to access the sport is available to all, I don't give a monkies where you were educated, which is why the original poll was set to be anonymous.
2547 - Anyone who didn't understand the original poll couldn't have gone to any school at all!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>