FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS detection of OCS?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RS400atC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS detection of OCS?
    Posted: 11 Dec 13 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by yellowwelly

Is GPS accurate enough?

No.
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Rupert

I prefer the idea of a high powered rifle set about 6" above the water. Any boats with holes in the bow were over. Any helms with extra holes in the bum were a long way over.

I got caught out that way in 1989 or 1990 in the Bosun nationals. Being a military regatta they were using a rifle and blanks for the starting gun and the plug went clean through my mainsail. Ouch
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 10:01am
"I got caught out that way in 1989 or 1990 in the Bosun nationals. Being a military regatta they were using a rifle and blanks for the starting gun and the plug went clean through my mainsail"

You're lucky it wasn't the old starting cannon! That had a much bigger wad (plus the gunpowder stains).

Colin
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Mark Jardine

I prefer the idea of a high powered rifle set about 6" above the water. Any boats with holes in the bow were over. Any helms with extra holes in the bum were a long way over.

I got caught out that way in 1989 or 1990 in the Bosun nationals. Being a military regatta they were using a rifle and blanks for the starting gun and the plug went clean through my mainsail. Ouch
Well over early and embarrassingly close to the committee boat were we?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Brass

Originally posted by Mark Jardine

Well over early and embarrassingly close to the committee boat were we?

If anyone was going to get caught on that start line, it was me Embarrassed
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 11:04am
Some might say that sailing in the Bosun nationals means you should get properly shot. But then sailing in the Bosun nationals is probably enough of a penance as it is. 

Edited by Presuming Ed - 12 Dec 13 at 11:06am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Presuming Ed

Some might say that sailing in the Bosun nationals means you should get properly shot. But then sailing in the Bosun nationals is probably enough of a penance as it is. 

Back then there were a good number of them racing (49 in the 1990 nationals if I remember rightly) and it was the one event I beat a certain Steve Cockerill in!

You do have a point though! LOL
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 2:24pm
Brandon Lee was killed from a blank whilst filming The Crow... dangerous things them blanks.  
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 2:48pm
Not sure if they still do it, but Thorpe Bay SC have been known to use a shotgun - blank rounds and aimed up and away from the line. Quite something to see someone stood atop the committee boat aiming a shotgun at the sky.
-_
Al
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 13 at 3:05pm
Manor Park use a shot gun - quite a surprise on a small lake in the midlands!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>