FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The solution to dull PY racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The solution to dull PY racing
    Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 12:54pm
The biggest objection I can see is you have no idea on the water how you are doing

How about an iPhone app that uses the GPS to locate and track you live then auto calculates your fleet position that it displays live on the screen.

All competitors log into the app; the positions can auto calculate where you are on the course (assuming rhumb lines, although if the app knew the wind direction then it could be smarter) and there you have it instant live feedback on your place in the race then you can see if you make a good few shifts how you have moved up ...
Time Lord View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 1:04pm
Simple class racing is so much easier!!!
Merlin Rocket 3609
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 1:10pm
Nice solution - in theory... Personally one of the benefits of being on the water is to switch off the technology.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 1:25pm
Nothing to stop you doing time on time calculations while sailing....I know that in the 300 if I round the WM after 20 minutes (yes - that long!) and I'm within a min of the 400s then I'm up (although they often get away on the run home....

Which is why there's a flaw in the app unless it can predict finishing times based on polars!
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Time Lord

Simple class racing is so much easier!!!

Indeed but it's hard to come by unless you are lucky. 

A live read out of position would give instant feedback. 
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 1:39pm
Sounds like a good idea to me.
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 1:50pm
considering that most of the people sailing are apparently really old then there is very little chance they even have a Nokia 3210 let alone an iPhone.

I'd probably lose mine off the boat during a capsize as well.

Edited by maxibuddah - 04 Dec 13 at 1:51pm
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Vronny View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vronny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 1:57pm
Maybe it would be fun from time to time to run races like the 18 foot skiffs sometimes do, where the fastest boats have to sail to a windward mark that's further up than the one for slower boats. But all the boats go to the same leeward mark. And the finish is at the leeward end of the course. It can lead to some odd results (from what I've seen on 18footerstv.com) but it could be fun giving it a go.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 2:17pm
Hill head's "Triangulation" race is a distance on distance handicap like that. It is indeed great fun to do. Its quite a unique situation with everyone in place order at the end of every lap, and the Oppies turning back whilst the big multis have got to go off to somewhere on the horizon...

Personally though I don't find PY racing dull. There are always people to race against, and they are different people depending on the weather, not the same ones every week, unlike class racing where the pecking order seldom varies.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 2:35pm
The Bandits? They know exactly where they are, one of them keeps time on everyone, you can tell by the increased action if we start pulling away, they put down the coffee cup and fall over themselves to pull extra bits of rope whilst having heated discussions with themselves which usually results in one of them poking the other in the eye with the spinnaker pole.

Edited by iGRF - 04 Dec 13 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>