New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: The solution to dull PY racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The solution to dull PY racing

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 04
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1810
Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 8:32pm
I agree getafix. If you don't like the dart 15 sitting to windward of you, tack off and look for clear air, but don't moan about it, he's perfectly entitled to be there.
Back to Top
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 17 May 04
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6349
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by craiggo

but don't moan about it, he's perfectly entitled to be there.

Whilst that's perfectly true, if he's deliberately sitting up to windward to keep out of the way of the more experienced racers, then he might appreciate a quiet word after the race that in fact he's accidentally impeding them anyway.

What is never forgivable is shouting at an inexperienced competitor to tell them to get out of your way when there's nothing wrong with what they are doing rules wise.

And of course if someone attempts to deliberately mislead an inexperienced competitor as to what their rights are in a situation that's a rule 2 DND, and possibly a RRS69 hearing as well (see casebook).

Edited by JimC - 04 Dec 13 at 9:42pm
Back to Top
Kev M View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 05 Dec 11
Location: Landlocked
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 346
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by JimC

[QUOTE=craiggo] 
And of course if someone attempts to deliberately mislead an inexperienced competitor as to what their rights are in a situation that's a rule 2 DND, and possibly a RRS69 hearing as well (see casebook).

Does that include shouting PORT at people on starboard in the hope they don't know it's their right of way and then they tack off?
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
Back to Top
Dougal View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 09
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 556
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Kev M

Originally posted by JimC

[QUOTE=craiggo] 
And of course if someone attempts to deliberately mislead an inexperienced competitor as to what their rights are in a situation that's a rule 2 DND, and possibly a RRS69 hearing as well (see casebook).

Does that include shouting PORT at people on starboard in the hope they don't know it's their right of way and then they tack off?

I have on occasion shouted starboard when on port, but that was more a function of age and confusion that a deliberate attempt to mislead....
What could possibly go wrong?
Back to Top
Dougal View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 09
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 556
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by JimC



What is never forgivable is shouting at an inexperienced competitor to tell them to get out of your way when there's nothing wrong with what they are doing rules wise.

Yes. Absolutely agree.
What could possibly go wrong?
Back to Top
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 11 Aug 04
Location: Whitefriars sc
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8714
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 10:24pm
Back in the day, the old boy sailors would sit there smoking their pipes, shouting starboard when on port, no intention of getting out of the way, knowing full well that their buddies on a protest committee would never kick them out, and actually knowing full well that no one would try, as it would mean social death in the club. At least these days the lack of protests is due to apathy, rather than the old boy network. Or is it just because Whitefriars has only been around from 1969, not 1885?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Back to Top
The Moo View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 01 Jun 06
Online Status: Online
Posts: 772
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Blue One

Sail pursuits.


Yep it's what we do week in week out in our series races and the sailors keep coming back for more.

Our one day regattas tend to be "normal" PY races and because of their infrequence the mass starts, counting of laps and crossing of finishing lines always confuses the hell out of a number of competitors.
   
Back to Top
Blue One View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 13
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 310
Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Back in the day, the old boy sailors would sit there smoking their pipes, shouting starboard when on port, no intention of getting out of the way, knowing full well that their buddies on a protest committee would never kick them out, and actually knowing full well that no one would try, as it would mean social death in the club. At least these days the lack of protests is due to apathy, rather than the old boy network. Or is it just because Whitefriars has only been around from 1969, not 1885?

Funny enough, that's exactly what happened to me the first time I sailed at m.w.y.c. in 1999! The gentleman and I still have a laugh over it now over the bar. ( he is now 95 and only stopped sailing five years ago. :) )
Back to Top
sargesail View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 06
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1384
Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Back in the day, the old boy sailors would sit there smoking their pipes, shouting starboard when on port, no intention of getting out of the way, knowing full well that their buddies on a protest committee would never kick them out, and actually knowing full well that no one would try, as it would mean social death in the club. At least these days the lack of protests is due to apathy, rather than the old boy network. Or is it just because Whitefriars has only been around from 1969, not 1885?

That said it caused a bit of a shock when in about 1992 I submitted the first protest at WSC for a very long time on one of the Trophy Days.  It shocked the protestee even more when he was DSQ for tacking in my water....wonder if that was the last one to happen there?  But the Club handled it really well....given the lack of corporate memory of running a PC!
Back to Top
gordon1277 View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 24 Mar 10
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 665
Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 13 at 8:56am
For clarification the dart was not supposed to be on our course as he should be Fast Handicap but we were quite happy for him to join in while he learnt but not for him to slow us all down while trying to stay clear and not realise he is doing it. Trying to get through the lee of a cat in a Phantom or 2000 is not easy.
Hence the quiet word.
Gordon
Lossc
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz
Change your personal settings, or read our privacy policy