FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The solution to dull PY racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
gbr940 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gbr940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 2:37pm
As mentioned earlier - get the list of handicaps and work it out based upon the standard length race the club does or work it out based on an hour...either way we know we need at least 8mins on anything slower than us to be able to get a podium finish.  

Saying that class race - we've just grown a fleet of 9 B14's in the last few months and intend to do that rather than PY race
RS100 GBR159
Noah View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 2:54pm
We have class racing within fast & medium handicap fleets at Shoreham, so I keep an eye on the other 'balls and they're who I focus on,  but I also track my position against the Merlins & 5o. If I'm up with the quick boats its a good day Smile; down with the slower ones is generally not a good sign Unhappy. I find I can guess the corrected position roughly to within a place or two on the water. Confirmation comes courtesy of our excellent results guru (thanks Martin) who has the results ready within an hour or so of coming off the water.
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by JimC

Personally though I don't find PY racing dull. There are always people to race against, and they are different people depending on the weather, not the same ones every week, unlike class racing where the pecking order seldom varies.

I couldn't agree more Jim, I don't care what others are sailing i will race whatever boat is next to me.

Blue One View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 3:43pm
Sail pursuits.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 4:03pm
PY racing has it's place.

It can be frustrating when a poorly sailed faster boat sits on you all race but that is all part of it, you sail to your strengths and may get clear of them.

Plus you can get fleet within a fleet races where boats of similar speeds have a good race with each other.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 4:09pm
We had a relative novice in a Dart 15 who could not understand why we all got upset with him when he sat to windward of various people, Staying out the way! mostly the 2000 and lasers which he was going the same speed as.

I had a chat and he was amazed wind shadow went further than about 10 metres.
Nice guy just needed a little educating before somebody clocked him.
Gordon
Lossc
Telltale View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Telltale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 5:09pm
As I remember Mr Bethwaite reckons wind shadow extends about 11x the height of the object, so a 7m mast would extend about 77m.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 6:24pm
The solution to dull PY racing is either:

i) make robes optional* 
ii) start out and finish with the firm objective of having fun in mind
iii) buy a boat you can sail to it's PY on your bit of water
iv) don't bother, go class racing instead 

*yonderland gag for those of you also watching it
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Ruscoe

Originally posted by JimC

Personally though I don't find PY racing dull. There are always people to race against, and they are different people depending on the weather, not the same ones every week, unlike class racing where the pecking order seldom varies.

I couldn't agree more Jim, I don't care what others are sailing i will race whatever boat is next to me.

Agree totally
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 13 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by gordon1277

We had a relative novice in a Dart 15 who could not understand why we all got upset with him when he sat to windward of various people, Staying out the way! mostly the 2000 and lasers which he was going the same speed as.

I had a chat and he was amazed wind shadow went further than about 10 metres.
Nice guy just needed a little educating before somebody clocked him.

Somewhat confused by this, I think I get where you're coming from, helping newbies is good stuff, but surely one of the skills of any fleet racing is knowing how to find and defend your lane?

Why should Mr confused in his Dart move? If he's within the rules the way he's sailing then its down to everyone else to move. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>