FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Solo
    Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 8:34pm
So, today we had a bit of a drifter with barely an odd gust of 3-5 mph out of the North and West, in those conditions generally it's just down to concentration no to sudden movements and keeping the boat moving sadly without that useful tactic we employ of air rowing.

My club mate in his Laser ghosted me at the start straight out from under followed also out from under, our up and coming star windsurfing lass and her dad in their Snipe and it was the three of us that pulled out front after the first mark with me struggling to hold on to them due to an incorrectly adjusted sail as I was to find out right at the very end of the race, however, none if this is my point.

My point is the irritating turn of speed this old wooden coffin with a sail that came from way back over took me then continued to trade tacks mark roundings all the way round, despite some defensive sailing on my part starboarding him away from the lay line, shutting the door when he hadn't established an overlap, obviously I'm not even in the match on handicap but nor should he have even been there, where does that speed come from?

Another chap who's response to recent heart surgery has been to get one of those new fangled epoxy foam jobbies, I'd been examining it with him prior to setting up and other than all that old fashioned nonsense I still have on the Alto, self balers, elasticated plastic barn doors over gaping holes on the stern, I must admit it looks a tidy affair, but it didn't show, yet the old wooden tub was the light air equivalent of a rocket sled on rails at times.

Are they known for light air performance? Those new ones, look all sorted, then you see a really ancient metal mast and boom, crying out for carbon. Those slots where you used to put your feet, why bother when you have toe straps, is it just to emulate the old wooden ones, no don't tell me, the class rules mean you have to have them.

This sport so desperately needs a decent new single hander, I can't wait to see that RS, but in the meanwhile I may have a go in one of these chariots of the grave if it can be arranged next week, I can't have this nonsense keep bothering me in conditions i would normally do OK in, if I learned to fiddle with that kicker thing a bit more.

Edited by iGRF - 01 Dec 13 at 8:35pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 9:48pm
Yes, Solo's are quicker than Lasers in light winds. Light wind bandit, stable, simple, good resale. Sensible but boring choice for you. But they have Stalinist class rules (or so I'm led to believe).

rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 10:10pm
Yep, Solos are pretty unbeatable on handicap in the light stuff.

Those holes are useful for those of us too tall to use the footstraps. Jam your toes in with your feet against the centreboard, means you can get rid of the straps altogether.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 10:57pm
Well he didn't get the Laser, I managed to hold him off and eventually crossed the line ahead, but didn't manage to nail my chum in the Laser which I might have done had he not been bothering me with his constant catching up and calls for water at marks. Apparently he wins over the water quite often down there when it's light. He's no slouch, obviously very experienced sailor, and it doesn't hang about.

I can't quite make out why that is, I haven't had a good look underneath, it's certainly not that sail.

Originally posted by rb_stretch

Yep, Solos are pretty unbeatable on handicap in the light stuff.Those holes are useful for those of us too tall to use the footstraps. Jam your toes in with your feet against the centreboard, means you can get rid of the straps altogether.

Those holes presumably only when there's a breeze, you wouldn't want to be back there in the wind we had to day would you?

And what's all that slack rigging all about, is that so the boat can stay flat, use its V yet the rig can can't over to leeward like we try to achieve by deliberate heeling?

Edited by iGRF - 01 Dec 13 at 11:04pm
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 11:07pm
You can have mine Graeme... Light wind sailing, bandit or not = Boreddotcom
Blue One View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 11:15pm
 james, you really do have a blind spot for light wind sailing.  Smile
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 11:19pm
I'm with James, so much so that I will no longer sail in less than 8 knts.  I just don't enjoy it.  Let's be fair that's why we do it after all.  Much rather earn brownie points, go for a ride even spend my day picking the dog sh*t up from the local park with my mouth than drift around the lake in the cold.

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Blue One

james, you really do have a blind spot for light wind sailing.  Smile

It's just too thrilling my mind goes overboard ;-)

Truth is, two small kids at home and for me to go sailing my wife has to run around for a day of her weekend too.

Fine if I come back with a big smile on my face, but frankly to drift around a windless lake, n'ah screw that. That's just taking the piss....

Russ is right, 8 knots should be the RRS min wind speed :-)
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 13 at 12:08am
That's what kissed windsurf racing goodbye, minimum wind speeds, first it was 5 mph then it was 5 kts, then it became 15 its.

Right now, on that lake I'd rather it be 5kts than 15kts and I'm swimming, it's still fun, at my stage in the learning curve. You have to be a lot sharper, everyone can sail in light wind, just not everyone can do it consistently, regattas are won and lost by a light wind result. Get it wrong in light weather and you lose dozens of places, get it wrong in a breeze and there aren't often enough folk around to force a bad result, used to be the mantra.

As it was I didn't stay for the 2nd race, so what did i end up with, nagging woman and more leaf clearing, ask me where and what I'd rather be doing on a Sunday in November.

So, now, what you need to do is swap that Lavendar Solo for my V Twin, put a f**k off big rig on it and see what it can do on Datchet.

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 13 at 12:17am
I'm not falling for that one mate ;-)

I couldn't care for championships, series points or a bit of glass at some prize giving I have no intentions to attend... I will simply check the forecast before wasting a day like this :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>