FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy sailing's for old men and kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Steve411 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 10:05am
Originally posted by sargesail

Well there are those that buy substitute lilac topped coffins.....

Not much you can do about pre-conceived rubbish is there....

Take the 300 for example - a physically demanding boat, with very hard conditions at this year's Nats, won by a 50 year old, with a 50 year old in second.

Sailing a sport for all the ages which allows the less young to compete with the fit but callow!

And therein lies lots of the attraction.

Oi! 49 year-old in 2nd, thank you very much. Wink
Steve B
RS300 411
D-Zero 11

RS300 page
D-Zero page
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Whilst I can see your point of view, I'm not really sure the good old days were as good as you remember, or that the modern day is as bad. There is huge amounts of funding for grass roots sailing, and the children I work with are having as much fun in a bunch of rotomoulded boats as any 1970's kids did in Mirrors or Cadets, with the bonus that they don't need painting.

One side of the RYA does seem squad biased, but if you look at loads of clubs round the country (just as Nessa) the system is used to produce talented sailors who like sailing for sailing's sake, not for winning. In our area, certainly, there is a choice of clubs for what style you want your kids/your kids want to do.

Well I wasn't there but I heard the stories....100 boat fleets of Grads, GPs, Ents et al at the Nats, with healthy regional circuits.....I suspect they were pretty good! 
iitick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 12:33pm
I remember cork life jackets and canvas canoes. Clinker 14' gaff things we bashed up and down the Thames. Life as a Sea Cadet in the 50's eh'. We were building Mirrors in Tooting  though.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 1:08pm
If you were building Mirrors in the 50's, I'm impressed! Unless they were of the Looking Glass variety?

Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 1:20pm
Well what can I say? I only took it up because I was getting on (and that bloody MPS foiled my early attempts after my 'pfft dinghy sailing how difficult can it be assumption') and it is dominated by older folks and squad die kids and it is virtually impossible for an adult 25-45 of no previous sailing experience to get to grips with all those old silver foxes. Hell there aint that many newcomers taking the sport up with my sailing experience and I'm having a tough enough time (albeit doing it all wrong to make the enjoyment experience longer,) and as winging it constantly points out I'd only be lucky to make mid fleet, so what the hell chance has a no experience grown up?
iitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 3:01pm

If you were building Mirrors in the 50's, I'm impressed! Unless they were of the Looking Glass variety?

How odd. I checked and you are right. The Mirror dates from 62'. I am talking probably 1958-59'. What were be building then? They were little hard chine boats and I always presumed them to be Mirrors. Of course when I say I was building I mean we were assisting adults to build. I remember marking the keel with a proper marker and planing it up.

maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 3:45pm
Heron?
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
blaze720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 3:48pm
Last Blaze inlands in October, 37 entrants ranging all the way up to 71 ...

1st = 56 years,  2nd 36 years,  3rd 17 years

Not too sure what it proves  - All of the entrants enjoy themselves and are definately on the 'young' side both on and off the water ..... (except perhaps Ben in 3rd  !)   Good classes have a broad cross section of partipants but we see a 'sag' in entrants amongst those in their mid 20s to mid 30s ... it has been that way for decades in many sports so nothing new there  ... but they come back later for us !  We already run 'yoof', 'master', and 'grand-master' sub-competitions and soon the '(infamous) legends' will be added.... all these groups are well represented. 

Today perhaps it is the 'regular' age helms we should be encouraging ?

Mike L.   

Edited by blaze720 - 30 Nov 13 at 3:49pm
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by iitick

How odd. I checked and you are right. The Mirror dates from 62'. I am talking probably 1958-59'. What were be building then? They were little hard chine boats and I always presumed them to be Mirrors. Of course when I say I was building I mean we were assisting adults to build. I remember marking the keel with a proper marker and planing it up.

Cadet? was Holts first small hard chine boat
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 4:10pm
Where do newcomers get directed to for information on our sport; Royal Yachting Association, sounds kinda snappy and action packed doesn't it.

Now I'm the last person to be in favour of pointless rebranding with ridiculous names made up by overpaid marketing consultants. However perhaps a little tweaking could reflect the wide range of activities encompassed.

Edited by Do Different - 30 Nov 13 at 4:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>