FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weta, fastest boat on the water!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weta, fastest boat on the water!
    Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 2:12pm
Thanks Mr Welly
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 2:28pm
I know in a Malcolm X kind of way, sailing a Solo in a local fleet isn't really helping, but I can't help but admire a well written, witty and succinct appraisal of the UK dinghy scene.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 2:34pm
The great thing about chasing plastic cups is the company. And, sailing inland, there is only so much exploration you can do before finding everything on the lake there is to find.

However, racing dinghy sailors do tend to have a blinkered outlook in general when it comes to exploration. I had a wonderful time on Windermere in a Mirror earlier in the year, just playing, and on the Broads a couple of years before that. It is something I keep on meaning to do more of (and the Weta would make a good steed), but trotting along to Opens is easier in many ways, and is fun, too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Nipper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

But what it does offer is a FAST boat that is stable, can be sailed and raced without worry of the wind strength or physical infirmity. That you can also cruise without safety cover or do distance touring that is also a great holiday boat for sailing with a young or even not so young family. Or even fished from.

It's actually rather a gem of a boat, but I doubt the small minded dinghy sailor in the UK will understand these virtues. As we don't have a culture of enjoying the natural world unless we are competing against someone for a tatty plastic cup, unlike the majority of the rest of the world.
I'm more cynical than small mided. I have seen so many dinghies hit the market in the last 30+ years where the marketing budget far outweighs the design budget, or the concept or execution is fatally flawed, that another "new" fantastic concept and marketing b*ll leaves me cold.  

The market for the Weta does indeed look as if it is more suitable for the cruising/exploring, wizzing around type market, but we do not have that in the UK. We have small lakes, featureless reservoirs, the water is cold for 10 months a year, we have a generally inhospitable coastline, we have huge tidal ranges, and to top it off an unreliable damp climate.

Hence in the UK we have turned everything into a racing boat even when it was designed to be "multi-purpose", because a) The opportunities for interesting exploring/cruising are so limited, b)Being at one with nature in the UK generally means being cold and miserable on your own c) Brits like the camaraderie of being a member of a club and aprticularly sports clubs, d) The Brits are a very competitive race and love sport.

Somewhere hot/sunny/windy with a sandy beach, no issue, I'd leap into a Weta for a blast.
6 knots of breeze on a Sunday morning in November for a club race on some godforsaken pond in middle England, give me the Laser, where using all my senses in trying to get to the mark ahead of the 6 other competitors, takes my mind off what a miserable day it is.

That is what the Weta is up against in the UK, not small mindedness.

39 years of dinghy racing and still waiting to peak.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 4:59pm
I don't think I could have written a better argument for what I was talking about than you have just written.

In my view the UK is a spectacular place to sail for pure pleasure. This boat allows you to take in our fantastic scenery with your family in safely. You are fast enough to punch tide and light enough to handle ashore! What's even better is if decided to test your metal against your fellow Brit, you can do it - amazingly, all in the same boat! But the most incredible thing of all is that you will not the slowest boat on the course, you will be one of the fastest. That seems quite a good deal to me to achieve from one boat.

I might add, I'm sorry you feel that concerned about sailing around our coastline. God knows what those Kiwi's must be thinking when they leave there shore!

It's time to read some real peoples endorsements I think - LINK http://www.wetamarine.com/gallery/endorsements

Edited by Jack Sparrow - 14 Nov 13 at 4:59pm
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 5:08pm
I think it depends on your view of pleasure... there's no way I can convince my wife sailing here is pleasurable.  She's just too cold most of the time.  That's why our family sailing is always abroad- somewhere with 300 days a year + sunshine.  I keep a windsurfer onboard too- this doubles as a paddle board. It's 100% about fun.

The 'sacrifice', if you can call it that, is that we don't utilise the local club for any family activities and I'm unlikely to introduce my kids to dinghy racing.

Weta / Mirror / Halbery Rassy.... wouldn't matter, not here, not with this crappy climate.
shadeux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shadeux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 5:31pm
There are also disabled sailors for whom tris like the weta present an opportunity to get out on the water and carry on enjoying their sport in relative safety.
Bruce
Shadow002
Nipper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by yellowwelly

The 'sacrifice', if you can call it that, is that we don't utilise the local club for any family activities and I'm unlikely to introduce my kids to dinghy racing.

And that exactly sums up the problem that most UK clubs are facing today.

It seems ironic that today's sailing gear is so much better than it was 30 years ago, but less people are sailing, with the cold being the main reason why partners and children are not interested.
Nipper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 11:15pm
[QUOTE=Jack Sparrow]

I might add, I'm sorry you feel that concerned about sailing around our coastline. God knows what those Kiwi's must be thinking when they leave there shore!

/QUOTE]

Don't feel sorry for me. I was just pointing out that there are large parts of our coastline where no one in their right mind would want to be washed onto.

Having an inhospital shore makes you treat the wind and water with respect, which may be why the Kiwis are such good sailors, as they know if the broke the boat they were going to get washed onto the rocks.

If you are not concerened sailing around the UK coast, then you are either niave or irresponsible.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 13 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Nipper

[QUOTE=Jack Sparrow]

/QUOTE]

Don't feel sorry for me. I was just pointing out that there are large parts of our coastline where no one in their right mind would want to be washed onto.

Having an inhospital shore makes you treat the wind and water with respect, which may be why the Kiwis are such good sailors, as they know if the broke the boat they were going to get washed onto the rocks.

If you are not concerened sailing around the UK coast, then you are either niave or irresponsible.

Or you're treating the wind and water with respect and making appropriate decisions based on that.  It's about how you approach it.  (My dinghy cruising credentials include Plymouth to Weymouth as a 17 year old (supported) and cross channel as a 16 year old (very supported).  I'd like to repeat that, or similar, with the family someday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>