New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Ist chilly breeze capsizefest of the winter season
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ist chilly breeze capsizefest of the winter season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ist chilly breeze capsizefest of the winter season
    Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 10:52am
There are some class supplied yardsticks worked out for old Moths. This sort of vintage boat would have been sailing off somewhere around 101 or 102 in 1960's money. This would give you a modern handicap of somewhere between 1150 and 1170, I guess - it would need time to see what works for the boat. It will be bi-polar, though - crap in the light, great in the strong, so if you only sail her in strong winds, your handicap might end up skewed.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 11:30am
Well I'd only use it if there was any breeze, the rest of the time the EPS is OK, although I've managed to find a new small sail still in its bag, so that might help, but to be honest I think what Dan pointed out is probably the case, being light if it's breezy and the racks are out, it's not so much the gusts, it's when they switch off and you pitch in to weather very quickly with it's quite narrow round hull.

Even as I lined up for that start, I'm wobbling about dare not sit out, can't sit to far in, so part kneeling, and there is Superman just sat there in his Streaker looking perfectly calm, I'm up on my ear with the sail sheeted out.

Then the next day I can hardly walk all that kneeling in one minute, hiked full stretch next.

So that little wide sled looks perfect for those conditions.

So the next question, how much can I mess with it? (Carbon windsurfer rig?)
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 12:11pm
oh please let grumpf buy a cvrda boat, that would make my year...

I have a dinky little grp skol which has been retro fitted with a centreboard, perhaps he should try that.  He will only break the scow and that would be a shame

the same, but different...

catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 12:28pm
back in the dim distant past I too had a mk 1 skol , most fragile boat Ive ever had   , hull was thinest foam sandwich ever seen , was an achievement getting it in the water without putting the trolley through it !! I was forever patching the hull .

once snapped the centreboard off on a particularily windy day , lifeboat was passing and stopped to help , fella fully suited and booted was preparing to jump onto upturned boat untill I convinced him he would have gone straight through ! 

still one of the luckiest boats ive had and it won lots .

ps managed to sail home unassisted , but wobbly :) 

Edited by catmandoo - 13 Nov 13 at 12:29pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 1:11pm
The great thing about that Scow Moth is that there is no class, so you can do what you like to it. Mind, you can with any boat - it is your's, after all. Windsurfer rigs have been tried in the past, but what you want from a sail is a little different, as you know, from dinghy to board, so it has never been too successful.

The Skol moth really doesn't come into the same catagory in terms of easy to sail in a blow.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 1:22pm
The skol moth is not easy to sail. It's quite like one of the winged low riders.  A challenge.  I have been watching that scow moth for ages but it seems expensive to me.
the same, but different...

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 2:56pm
It's way too expensive for an ancient old wooden tub, but then my massive ego is worth any sum I care to lavish on it eh wing wang? I can't wait til the day dawns when I finally settle on something that suits it and it delivers a thermo nuclear windsurfer style thrashing to you and your CVDRA mates, then I'll make you eat it along with your mealy mouthing stroppery..

But you're right it's too much even a simpering idiot with no idea about dinghy sailing can see that.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by catmandoo

hull was thinest foam sandwich ever seen

Think you'll find they were actually coremat - at least my Skol 3 is. Bit early for foam sandwich.

I've never found it that delicate* or tricky to sail - probably depends what you are used to though.

*although I did rip shroud and surrounding area of deck out of the boat because I stupidly stayed on the water when I knew it was getting too windy for it. Fortunately Bloodaxe did a really neat invisible mending job for me.

Edited by JimC - 13 Nov 13 at 3:05pm
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Nipper

I was at college in the early 80's and one of the Izzat brothers was in our sailing team.
Mike? Salford?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by JimC

I've never found it that delicate* or tricky to sail - probably depends what you are used to though.

Not massively tricky, as the wing is in the form of flare, so gives some stability when heeled, but certainly as tricky as an eps. Certainly not a heavy weather boat in the sense GRF is wanting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>