New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Ist chilly breeze capsizefest of the winter season
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ist chilly breeze capsizefest of the winter season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ist chilly breeze capsizefest of the winter season
    Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by JimC

Good as in "will win on handicap if you're good enough to keep it upright", good as in "any muppet can keep it upright" or some other kind of good?

Good as in can continue to 'race' rather than 'survive'.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 8:07pm
Topper.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 9:49pm
For you... Splash, Byte Cii, Radial, Europe, Farr 3.7
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 13 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by yellowwelly

1st snowboard session tomorrow night,

Helmet up, I've just watched that 'Crash Reel' about Kevin Pearce and how his head injury screwed him up, I know exactly how he feels, after my bash, I totally lost my heel side edge, the weirdest thing, never really did recover.

I never board without one , but thanks for the reminder , no harm in a bit of reinforced safety protocol!
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 8:53am
In a force 5, almost everyone sailing any dinghy will be depowering. In a force 6, a lot of classes have a sustained wind limit for racing in this region.

Dinghy sailing will generally call it quits in less wind than cats, windsurfers and leadmines.
-_
Al

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 9:08am
That's very true, although there are some notable exceptions which bark their loudest when it's windy....

Blaze
Contender

Edited by yellowwelly - 11 Nov 13 at 9:09am
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 9:13am
There's a culture of sailing Miracles down the lake, they don't actually begin to move around until most other boats are blown off the water..
hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 12:46pm
I was sailing one of the Snipes agaist GRF at the lake this weekend and he is right there were some very hefty gusts coming through.

I think a lot of the issue he is seeing could be put down to a combination of light(ish) weight guy, big sail and big wind and the lack of chines on the EPS.
What would suit grf to the ground would be a Solution.

The boats suggested so far are not all that easy to sail when the big breeze is up, yes they have small sails but thats only part of the story, having chines to me makes the boat more stable when turning and less prone to being rolly.

Dan
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 12:50pm
Solo- Winder Mk1, Proctor C Section, Custom HD Sail cut for lightweights.... that'd work okay, it even has his beloved centreboard.

Edited by yellowwelly - 11 Nov 13 at 12:50pm
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 13 at 4:30pm
How about trying to improve your sailing by getting a Laser you can race closely against the others and learn from them, when it gets windy change the rig down to a Radial ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>