FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moth 'Racing'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moth 'Racing'
    Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 10:22am
... despite leaving the start line nearly 3 minutes late. "I was a bit confused about the course signals and ended up very late for the start," said Greenhalgh, who at one point was nearly a half leg ahead of the next competitor even after giving the fleet a head start.

Can you think of any dinghy racing where you could start 3 minutes late and end up 1/2 leg in front in a worlds race?

Moth Racing seems to have little resemblance to any other form of dinghy racing ....

Looks like the event is having a nightmare with the weather ... the pre-worlds was a light wind low riding effort...

Edited by 2547 - 15 Oct 13 at 10:50am
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 10:44am
Just shows the difference between foiling and non-foiling, doesn't it?  The skill set can't be too dissimilar, though, as the top names seem to have been top in other classes too.

Really hoping the wind picks up and we can look on with awe.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Rupert

Just shows the difference between foiling and non-foiling, doesn't it?  

yes of course ... and in what other class could you see such enormous differences?

The differences also mean that tacks are heavily penalised ... less so gybes.

I'm just observing how different foiling racing is from "normal" dinghies ....
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 11:17am
I've seen things like that happen in other classes when something bizarre happens to the weather. Surely anyone who's done a lot of inland sailing has seen the situation where the entire front of the fleet gets enveloped by a huge hole in the wind and someone at the back sails right round them. I honestly don't think its that special to the Moths, though it does exaggerate things.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 11:58am
Originally posted by JimC

I've seen things like that happen in other classes when something bizarre happens to the weather. Surely anyone who's done a lot of inland sailing has seen the situation where the entire front of the fleet gets enveloped by a huge hole in the wind and someone at the back sails right round them. I honestly don't think its that special to the Moths, though it does exaggerate things.

Have been on both sides of that Jim! Nice when you are on the right side, frustrating when you are on the wrong side.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 12:05pm
It's a bit like watching the AC72s isn't it?  Very easy to say it's not the same as what we do on a sh*tty pond in the middle of nowhere.  That much is obvious.  It's also very easy to somehow discredit it, make it seem a bit 'cowboy' or technique led.  

We could further claim to de-skill it- from a tactical point of view anyway, slow is more tactical right?  But as shown in the AC, it's not without tactics and not without similarities to what we do.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard SB call the lay line longer than the wrist top gadget... and he was right.

Foiling is a new breed of sailing, sharing some similar traits, but vastly different too.  But we shouldn't really try and compare it too much, there's no point.  Anyone claiming superiority of one form or another is simply giving an opinion- the same way you can't really compare F1 to WRC.   But unlike motorsports, we have yet to accept that the two can't compete together.  It's becoming fairly clear that we can't race PY for foilers, not against conventional craft... forget it.  
L123456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by yellowwelly

It's becoming fairly clear that we can't race PY for foilers, not against conventional craft... forget it.  

That's for sure ...
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 1:30pm
Dublin Bay evening racing in the summer as the sea breeze dies... starting late can be a positive advantage.
Gordon
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 4:36pm
if you've never seen a late starter sail round the entire fleet, you've not raced enough
-_
Al
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by 2547

Moth Racing seems to have little resemblance to any other form of dinghy racing ....

I think that Moth racing today is very similar to a great many periods in development classes throughout the last 50 years in these waters.  Occasionally a combination of sailors, design and conditions conspire to deliver what, to the rest of us more used to OD or SMOD sailing (or club handicrap), appear "weird" or "crazy" results.

For me, it's one of the great attractions but also downsides of development class racing.  You can buy the 'best design' with the 'best sails' and practice yourselves into great shape, only to find some crew turn out with a taped together boat and borrowed sails, measure in and disappear over yours, and everyone else's, horizon!

There is always a greater chance at a major event that someone will win with the currently accepted 'best package', but that small chance of a dead-cat-bounce/flat-stanley/cantebury-tales coming along peeks my interest at least.

Perhaps, tying into other threads, it's why the likes of Nick Craig have stuck to OD and SMOD racing, while others like Rod Gilbert, Mike Carveth and Ian Pinnell have done both (i14 & Merlin vs Enterprise and RS400 for example).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>