FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moth 'Racing'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
aardvark_issues View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote aardvark_issues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moth 'Racing'
    Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 9:38pm
Light airs shifty 'racing' always shows up a lot of people. I've sailed past the fast handicap fleet in a slow boat when they started 5 minutes earlier just because they don't know how to get moving or where to be going. It's very easy to make up time on boats when you've got your head out of the boat and know what you are looking for.

As for this 'event' (yeah, lets add some condescending punctuation). It's just damn unlucky and if you think the 'racing' would be much better in any other class in gusty, shifty, holey conditions then you are on another planet. They have yet to actually get a 'race' in anyway as there is that little wind...
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 10:15pm
I'm guessing it's a classic "it isn't normally like this here at this time of year" situation with the wind? One presumes they picked the time/location on a virtual guarantee of compliant weather...
-_
Al
dohertpk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote dohertpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 10:29pm
yup!!!!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by aardvark_issues

Light airs shifty 'racing' always shows up a lot of people. I've sailed past the fast handicap fleet in a slow boat when they started 5 minutes earlier just because they don't know how to get moving or where to be going. It's very easy to make up time on boats when you've got your head out of the boat and know what you are looking for..

This
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 11:33pm
The way I read the report they are getting around 8 knots....not really that light is it. RS classes have a minimum of 5knots.

In those conditions would it be faster without foiling foils?
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
aardvark_issues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aardvark_issues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 13 at 8:08am
They are getting puffs of eight knots, but its not sitting there very long. Moths will foil in 7/8 quite easily and we've got a lower wind limit of 5 or 6. Lowriders might be OK as long as it stays at 5 or 6 but one puff and a foiler can pop 100's of yards in a couple of minutes.

Thankfully it looks like they got three full races in today.

Originally posted by Neptune

The way I read the report they are getting around 8 knots....not really that light is it. RS classes have a minimum of 5knots.

In those conditions would it be faster without foiling foils?
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 13 at 2:28pm
Ahh ok, 8 knot puff is something else.  I bet 5 knots is really uncomfortable and bloody hard work keeping it upright.

Could be worse places than Hawaii to have to sit around waiting for wind :-)

Edited by Neptune - 16 Oct 13 at 2:29pm
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 11:28am
I guess my original point was is there any other class where such huge differential boat speeds?

We have all seen fluky conditions turn races inside-out but not due to boat speed.

Anyway ... looks like things have picked up and they weather is playing ball.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12