FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What’s the most fun to sail?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
robin34024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote robin34024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s the most fun to sail?
    Posted: 02 Oct 13 at 9:32pm
I would love one of the most modern types of low rider moth... A skippy or something, they just look so difficult to sail, but so rewarding when you would finally get the hang of it. Shame there is no class for the latest lowriders and they are rather scarce :P
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 13 at 11:13pm
Something with a trapeze that is easier to handle for those past their prime. Farr 3.7 - you could ever find one? Vortex?
RS400atC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 13 at 8:13am
RS800
Provided you have someone to sail with and a decent stretch of water.
Thunder Road View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thunder Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 13 at 8:38am
I know that when I had knee problems and couldn't sail a Finn I missed it, so I got another. Just the feel of the Finn in a good breeze makes me glad to be alive.
For a one off treat, it would be an Imperium Scow low rider International Moth in a breeze, in waves on Sandgreen Bay. Just a thought , but isn't there a place for the low rider International Moth as a seperate class or a sub division of the class?
Finn GBR16 Thunder Road.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 13 at 9:11am
Originally posted by craiggo

Will I get hung out to dry if I suggest 'Laser'?

Can anyone suggest a better boat to take into the surf near the shoreline and spend 40mins doing highly illegal kinetics on the waves?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 13 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Thunder Road

Just a thought , but isn't there a place for the low rider International Moth as a seperate class or a sub division of the class?

I think originally the class tried to have lowrider trophies, but in pretty short order almost everyone who was capable of sailing a lowrider to a decent level had bought a foiler and there were just no competitors for lowrider prizes...
Thunder Road View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thunder Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 13 at 9:53am
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Thunder Road

Just a thought , but isn't there a place for the low rider International Moth as a seperate class or a sub division of the class?

I think originally the class tried to have lowrider trophies, but in pretty short order almost everyone who was capable of sailing a lowrider to a decent level had bought a foiler and there were just no competitors for lowrider prizes...
Thanks, just a thought, I haven't sailed them since I was a student, I turned into a second row forward and thus ended up in a Finn but had a great time. I would have thought it would have been a great idea as a class for people who wanted to develop their own ideas without the cost of foiling. As a student I seem to recall a lowrider was affordable, home builds, etc. Usually with a hangover Big smile
Finn GBR16 Thunder Road.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 13 at 11:21am
A bunch of lowrider Moth sailors use the cvrda forum to communicate - everything from 1960 is Europa Moths to Magnum 9.9's. Their aim is to get together and have fun at some point soon.

As for the question, many of the boats suggested are hard to sail - an hour once in a while would be spent swimming. So, it needs to be simple to sail, but with the sensation of speed, unless you are already used to boats that fall over if you let go. This is where GRF got to before designing the VTwin, isn't it?!

How about a Catapult - that way it can live in bags when you aren't using it, then blow it up and away you go!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 13 at 11:22am
Just seen on your sig that your boat is a Vareo. Why is that no good as a fun boat?!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 13 at 12:46pm
A Board I miss my old Screamer and I'm told modern boards are faster?

Edited by Rob.e - 03 Oct 13 at 12:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>