FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So what is the most photogenic dinghy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
iitick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 7:04pm
Not just a Contender, a wooden Bonetti Contender.......

Qualified photographer eh' what, F stops, depth of field and all that nonsense....sorry skill. We could do with a bit of Cartier Bresson it would be welcome on here, or some nice grainy Don Macullum.
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 7:10pm
Apprenticeship duly served and guess what? Using cameras made of wood.

Edit as memory floods back, used to photograph what must have been the first cross channel sailing dinghy race in the sixties..

Edited by iGRF - 10 Sep 13 at 7:13pm
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 8:13pm
The biased part of me says Finn  Tongue

The other part of me says Flying Dutchman. Theres something about them that's aesthetically pleasing, the curve of the bow, the big genoa... Thumbs Up
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
iitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Apprenticeship duly served and guess what? Using cameras made of wood.

Edit as memory floods back, used to photograph what must have been the first cross channel sailing dinghy race in the sixties..

Yes. Those old studio cameras. I used to have a Lieca M3 but I could never use the bloody thing. I was looking at a picture from not so long ago of Press Photographers using plate cameras. Happy days? I think not...but interesting.
iGRF View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by iitick

I was looking at a picture from not so long ago of Press Photographers using plate cameras. Happy days? I think not...but interesting.

You got the one shot, two if you were lucky enough to use a camera with a double dark slide, like an MPP or Speed Graphic, I didn't I had to use a VN single plate, no range finder, no meter, judge everything for the first six months until I 'proved' myself.
Then I got indentured as an apprentice and eventually moved onto a Rolleiflex.

Ha, had to google see if there were any still about and found one on ebay..

Edited by iGRF - 10 Sep 13 at 8:36pm
scotsfinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scotsfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 8:54pm
Just how old is igrf. I thought the box brownie was old.

What was a "new dinghy " when you were 16? We sailed Lark number 34 which we brought four years old? Also sailed an FD which had wooden wheels on the launching trolley .... That was really photogenic Embarrassed
Largs Sailing Club. D-One GBR 57

www.blueseaconsultingllp.com
www.jameswattdockmarina.co.uk/boat-sales/
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 8:54pm

Oh and photogenic, all those angles? Sorry as one of the (probably)few actually qualified photographers here (that doesn't include jumped up digiwallers) it's the one area I can call rank on.

I'm going to call rank on you then. Thanks Wink
Needs to sail more...
gbr940 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbr940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 11:49pm
Tom's photos of the Olympics I think answer this. The Finn or the 470 seemed more photogenic then the 9er because it pushes more water...and makes it look more dramatic.
RS100 GBR159
Koops View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Koops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 13 at 1:01am
RS300  Smile

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 13 at 7:03am

*Shut Up Bitches!

* It's a movie quote before y'all start whining

Just to confuse everyone, GRF inevitably goes for a bethwaite-esque boat with a bagged asymmetric.

There are good points though. inefficient boats produce spectacular photos at low speeds due to battering the water aside. Really efficient boats tend to look less "wow"- think shots of Moths on the foils.

But then it's as much in the photographer as the boat.
-_
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>