FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Round Sheppey - Awesome Race!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round Sheppey - Awesome Race!
    Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 11:43am
Last Saturday was the annual Isle of Sheppey Round the Island race. It was fab!! Force 5, flat water (apart from one very lumpy bit!), planing for four hours, excellent organisation, great spot prizes from Y&Y.

Add it to your to do list for next year!
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 11:49am
I havent been for a few years but it is a cracking sail, highly recommended. I actually prefer it to races like the Lord Birkett on Ullswater because the sailing is far more varied with sea, estuary and river and the bridge bit adds to the fun.
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 12:14pm
Nice to see a couple of Alto's in the top twenty and two of our guys did well, Tom in his Contender got a very respectable 16th considering he had a bit of a pitch pole towards the end we understand. Richard Holmewood won the Sailboards as well.

I can't believe it's been five years since Steve and I went round without a kicker in a Gusty force five, it's a tough old race 3 - 4 hours of just about everything you can think of to deal with, Waves, Shifts, Gusts, Tide, Running aground, having to capsize to get under that bloody bridge, funny I had it in my mind on Friday to have a go on my board to see what sort of time I'd have done it in.

Definitely one you should do at least once in your sailing career, there's virtually always some sort of drama, broke my boom last time I tried it..
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 12:37pm
Really glad the #GetOutAndSail prizes were appreciated. Many thanks indeed to the partners who have made this possible. See http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/GetOutAndSail/ for more information on the initiative.
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 2:05pm
It was a tough old race this year with big F6 bits, the gusty conditions making it tougher in some ways than 2010........The reach up the swale into chop, I thought the boat was going to break, planing from wave to wave bang bang bang.

Bit of a cock up with the results though, PC failure I understand. Waiting for results is not really an issue and entirely understandable  but they cocked up the prize giving as well. My friends were announced as the Slow fleet winners, they were awarded prizes (P&O stuff I understand) They knew (like most of us who are advancing in years) that they were never likely to win anything at an open again, they were absolutely chuffed...... They were contacted on sunday evening to be told they hadn't won, they had come second, a mistake had been made........The Helm was gutted, he's having to send the prizes back.

All in all though a great weekend.

Edited by transient - 09 Sep 13 at 2:12pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Mark Jardine

Really glad the #GetOutAndSail prizes were appreciated. Many thanks indeed to the partners who have made this possible. See http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/GetOutAndSail/ for more information on the initiative.

They were really good prizes, you should shout about it more!

What were you sailing Transient?
mangoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mangoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 2:40pm
we were moored up between the bridge and Queenborough watching everyone go by; could not believe how far in front that winning Dart was.. but they are World /european champions I'm told.

It was good viewing as the gusts came  and boats flying through with the kites up.

Noticed same paddle boarders going by and we were trying to work out if they were in the race; looks like they were by the results ! How do you get a PY for a Paddle board ??? Guess they were hoping for a flat calm !!

We had 26 knots of wind indicated at times when we were sailing back and I imagine most would have been on the final leg out of the Medway and back by then
 Post Reply Post Reply