FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Four races done

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
getafix View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four races done
    Posted: 25 Sep 13 at 9:26pm
Love it, Slingsby (I think) just said "don't be afraid to be faster right now guys", slightly more poetic than Bens "this is it, work your arses off" ))
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 13 at 9:49pm
What more could the Kiwis have done in that race? Didn't seem to do much wrong, but just not quick enough.

Bit of an anti-climax really.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 13 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by GarethT

What more could the Kiwis have done in that race? Didn't seem to do much wrong, but just not quick enough.

Bit of an anti-climax really.

Thing is, when a guy from the mid field of F1 "does" Vettel or Alonso in a GP because for some reason their aero package is better in a particular place/time I think "fluke". When a load of seriously good sailors come from behind, in a winner takes all final, I think "wow"... Even though' at the end of the day, being that much quicker helps you look brilliant!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 13 at 9:58pm
Thought the NZ team did all they could, too. Got the start, got the 1st and 2nd marks, just didn't have the speed.

Anti climax, though? I didn't think so - we got 1/2 the race as very, very close.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
oz man View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote oz man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 13 at 10:15pm
Anti climax? Don't worry it will look better when Hollywood get hold of it.
Personally it's been the most exciting ac I've watched and it's a shame it's over as I now have to hand over the telly to the mrs (eastenders and downtown abbey) 

oz man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote oz man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 13 at 10:16pm
Personally it's been the most exciting ac I've watched and it's a shame it's over as I now have to hand over the telly to the mrs (eastenders and downtown abbey) 

Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 13 at 10:17pm
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 13 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by oz man

+1 and is anyone still cynical?  What a fantastic spectacle... almost as good as the Olympics.
Jimbob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jimbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 13 at 1:31pm
Watched 'live'on Sky Sports from start to finish,ie, taped and watched later to cut out ads. It was magnificent to see these giant boats going so well and the crews making it look so easy. I sailed a fast cat and I know it is not.
Unfortunately apart from the starts and one or two close races most were drag races after one team broke away. I think Oracle was probably the faster hull right from the beginning but the crew was not up to speed. That was probably due to their training boat prior to the racing not really being fast enough to give Spithill and crew real competition except for starting. So when the racing started TeamNZ was walking all over Oracle except at the starts. But huge credit must go to Jimmy Spithill and crew to eventually match and surpass by a large margin Dean Barker and his crew and eventually walk all over HIM.
Team NZ were very unfortunate to lose the Regatta as they were only 2 mins away from closing it out. But after that race they were never in the hunt. At first I thought it was TeamNZ choking but it gradually became obvious that they were just not fast enough. I have one criticism of Dean B, ie, maybe he was too complacent at the starts when he had a huge lead. He was outclassed there for a spell and it does not do team morale any good to lose the starts like he was doing.
But all in all great for sailing. Can someone now produce a small single handed foiling cat? I might come back sailing if they did.
Jimbob
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 13 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Jimbob

But all in all great for sailing. Can someone now produce a small single handed foiling cat? I might come back sailing if they did.

It won't be long!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>