FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Sailing Gear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lewis brown 29er View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lewis brown 29er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Sailing Gear
    Posted: 07 Sep 13 at 8:40am
Just wondering if you guys could give me any ideas for good sailing gear that keeps me walm durring the winter and not to hot durring the summer months (obviously ill wear my normal summer gear when its baking but i would still want to be able to wear it for the windier wet days.) I want it to be some type of neopreme and not a drysuit. I have a budjet of around £150 and was looking at the rooster supertherm longjohn and top.
Thanks
charlie1019 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote charlie1019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 13 at 1:35pm
Firstly I should point out that Sandiline sponsored our nationals this year so I might be biased...

I would recommend the Sandiline winter hickers. They are an awesome bit of kit. In my opinion their hickers generally are the best currently available on the market (as worn by Ben Ainslie at London 2012) and their winter hickers offer the same performance but with extra warmth. They just need to be teamed with the appropriate top depending on how cold it is making them goo for those cold, wet and windy summer days - Sandiline offer a couple of different tops to compliment.

Alternatively I think Rooster offer some very good cheaper tops that offer excellent performance for the money. The Sandiline winter hikers are around your budget at £165.

http://www.suntouched.co.uk/sandi_003.htm

Post Options Post Options   Quote lewis brown 29er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 13 at 5:12pm
Cheers charlie I have looked at the Sandline Hikers and they do look very good however i was looking at 160 for suit and top but i will have a look for some.
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 13 at 1:36am
Honest answer? The same gear will not do you year round. Even layering, you;ll have to face up realistically that gear that would be too warm in summer won't be warm enough in winter
-_
Al
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 13 at 8:42am
It totally depends on the boat and your work rate and the type of racing (short races, in and out the club house) or long races,hanging around before starts 'sailing' to keep warm.

I've got a drysuit now for Solo sailing (lower work rate) than I had with my RS100.  I was able to sail all year with normal hiker and some rooster polypro leggins under them- matched with thermal rash vests and a dinghy thermal spray top on the 100.  Essential ingredients were some rooster hot socks and a decent set of 5mm neoprene boots (I used Neil Pryde winter windsurfing ones).

However when I had my MPS (lots of getting wet) I went for the drysuit - standing out there in the cold is definitely chiller than lower down, hiking in a hike boat.  I remember the early spring move to the wetsuit felt so much nicer, but there was no way I was going to get through the winter in one.

BTW- Sandiline hikers really are far superior.... can't recommend them highly enough for all day comfort and amazing leg support. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote lewis brown 29er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 6:05pm
Ok cheers guys thats some good advice i am sailing in fevas and 29ers and mainly faster boats so im alays active but i do remember being quite chilly out in a 29er in january in my neopreme ( drysuits do not have enough mobility ) so going for a thicker neopreme in the winter and wetsuit shorts in the summer seems a good idea.
Sandline hikers do look very good but quite pricey so i dare say ill buy them when i get the money!!!
shadeux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote shadeux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 9:06am
Rooster's polypro leggings and tops are superb. I also rate my Zhik wetsuit leggings very highly for year-round warmth and comfort (layered with Rooster polypro base) although they are very expensive.
Bruce
Shadow002
Roxy405 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roxy405 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 11:11am
I have both the Rooster Supertherm top and longjohn.

I'm yet to try it out in the middle of winter so can't comment on how warm it is, but I've been using the longjohn by itself on 'average' summer days with just a rash vest underneath and I don't find it to be too hot.

The only slight issue I've found is that when I've put the hiking pads in the longjohn you seem to get more flushing through the legs and a bit of a cold spot where the pads are because they are inside the neoprene. This could probably be remedied by either not using the hiking pads (and as I seldom sail a boat where I need them that's fine!) or get the Rooster neoprene shorts which are also designed to hold the hiking pads.

The only other downside is that Rooster don't do Tall/Short etc sizing within their Small/Med/L sizing. I'm 6'3" but fairly thin (about 73kg) and have found that in order to get a comfortable fit height-wise I had to buy the large. Having said that, I haven't had any problems with the body being insufficiently snug as the neoprene seems very stretchy.

Post Options Post Options   Quote lewis brown 29er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 8:37pm
Yeah cheers gusy i have had zhik stuff v good but pricey supertherm really was difficuilt wih the sizing but i dont live 2 far away from rooster cheers guys any other opinions????
kurio99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote kurio99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 13 at 11:34pm
Must admit that I over-estimated the warmth of my outfit, last weekend,  3/2 mm long john, 3/2 mm top, and dry top.  It was 12 knots, lots of spray, and 8* celcius air temp.  After two hours, I was thoroughly chilled.  The core was well protected but the extremeties were probably letting out too much heat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>