FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amphidrome boat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ian 23 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian 23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amphidrome boat
    Posted: 28 Aug 13 at 3:41pm
A relative of mine is trying to restore an old (17th century!) boat used in our area which could sail either way...they simply used to change the rudder and put it at the other end to sail in a different direction (because they used to work in narrow canals) it's called ´amphidrone' in French and we need to know whatever it's called on English to exchange with various muséums around the world. Any idea what this would be called?
JohnW View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 13 at 3:50pm
I think the nearest translation would be "double-ended boat"

Van Mentz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Van Mentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 13 at 7:51am
Same name: amphidrome. From Greek - amphi - both, of both kinds, on both sides. And Greek - dromos - course (running).
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 13 at 8:59am
Yeah, I'm not aware of a specific tech term. Possibly amphidrome was made up by the designer.
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 13 at 9:49am
I think there are proas in the pacific that work like this?
Like a trimaran with an ama missing.
I think the outrigger is a weight to windward rather than a float to leeward?
But not sure about that the more I think about it. Never seen one in the solent, so may be a myth....
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 13 at 9:53am
there are Proas which shunt rather than tack or gybe... maybe call it a 'shunter'

Edited by yellowwelly - 29 Aug 13 at 9:54am
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 13 at 10:05am
An interesting project that stirred a memory. Not sure if this will be helpful but it seems vaguely similar.

In one of Patrick O'Brians novels there is a ship called the HMS Polychrest. It had a bow at either end, lifting keels and I'm sure it had the ability to sail in either direction. Patrick O'Brian usually used historical sources as the basis for his fictional ships.

So I had a dig around, it transpires that the Polychrest was probably based on the real life "HMS Project". It had 2 sharp ends and a rudder at either end.

It may give you something to google.

Edited by transient - 29 Aug 13 at 10:09am
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 13 at 11:46am
Most of us will have been on one or seen one as many ferries are double ended.

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 11:11am
Changing the rudder to the other end - it's a Proa. Not an English word...but used in English descriptions of South Sea vessels.
Ian 23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian 23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 10:36pm
Thank you all for your help on this! We're now getting somewhere with our exchanges with other countries.
Y
 Post Reply Post Reply