FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Contender Worlds Scoring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 1:10pm
You're not the only only class that suffers from the costs of IJs at Worlds. At least you've got huge numbers of entry fees.
-_
Al
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by E.J.

He had an accident with another boat but carried on racing after ensuring the guy was ok. Racing rules say that you should retire and stay with the damaged vessel (this is how it was explained to me apologies if this not technically accurate)). The jury awarded him a non dicardable disq. We felt that this ruling is more for offshore yachts where there is a real danger associated with accidents but 'rules is rules' and the jury had a slow day up til then!.

I'd love a view from one of our Judges on that!  Very poor application of the letter of the law if you ask me.
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 2:50pm

The IJ, yes that another story. In a class that allows pumping in over 10knot and wont races until its 6, there is rarely anything for them to do that cant be sorted on the water in a grown up 'we go sailing because we like not cause its life or death' way. This is made worse when we need 5 to authorise a worlds and their expenses are over half of the entry fee!. Does not make sailing very accessible for class that is run on good will.

Why don't you do what the RS100s do(did?) and just not bother ...

Edit:

See NP post:

Edited by 2547 - 29 Jul 13 at 2:51pm
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 3:03pm
The system beat me more than most (Si Mussell excluded) as I was in 17th until a breakage on the only finals day gave me 2 non dicardable DNCs and dropped me 42 places, boo! 
Ah well still the best regatta I've ever done.

Rotten luck, but as you know it's the taking part that counts Smile - which from what I've seen and heard (sadly not first hand Cry) applied more to the Como Worlds than to most sporting events!
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by 2547

The IJ, yes that another story. In a class that allows pumping in over 10knot and wont races until its 6, there is rarely anything for them to do that cant be sorted on the water in a grown up 'we go sailing because we like not cause its life or death' way. This is made worse when we need 5 to authorise a worlds and their expenses are over half of the entry fee!. Does not make sailing very accessible for class that is run on good will.

Why don't you do what the RS100s do(did?) and just not bother ...

Edit:

See NP post:

But is the RS100 still an ISAF class?  I'd have thought it would be an RS100 8.4 and RS100 10.2 now the vote split went through....   LOL    
E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 3:32pm
Sargesail, I'm sure you are right to be suspicious about my poor explantion of a situation I heard about second hand. I'm sure there must be more to it, but being objectively accurate in every technical sense is so much more tedious than the easy paraphrasing.
Rebel Scum.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 3:34pm
You can only run without an IJ, using the "we're too poor" excuse, for so long before ISAF get a bit annoyed. As far as I know we got the IJ for the B14 Worlds through some generous sponsorship- I head FFV (French governing body) being mentioned.
-_
Al
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 4:05pm
Al- do you have to get official dispensation from ISAF for not running an IJ?  Or is it just something they turn a blind eye to if one isn't requested?
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 4:36pm
Official dispensation. They do give it, but as far as I know they grumble. Their alternative of course would be to see a big reduction in International classes.
-_
Al
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 9:11pm

Sargesail, I'm sure you are right to be suspicious about my poor explantion of a situation I heard about second hand. I'm sure there must be more to it, but being objectively accurate in every technical sense is so much more tedious than the easy paraphrasing.

I'm more suspicious of the judges if I'm honest!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>