FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Contender Worlds Scoring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contender Worlds Scoring
    Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by E.J.

Yes, this system works fine if you can get to 9 races and the actual result of 7 races with 2 final was probably the combination that highlighted the weaknesses most.

If it was a single fleet there would be no need breaking qualifying into 2 fleet and having a final series (everything after the word 'however' goes away!), we would have just raced 7 races in the standard fashion. This system only comes into use when you have too many competitor for 1 mass start.

Perhaps the solution moving forwards is for a shorter qualifying series; with say a 3 race qualifier you quickly work out who is in the gold fleet; there may be some mid fleet guy that perhaps ends up the wrong side of the cut but that is better than what happened in Como.

What happened to the guy in 26th?
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:29pm
TBH the bloke who won beat the other bloke more than once and was more consistent.
I can't see much justification for the saying the other bloke was a better (or worse) sailor, they are clearly both capable of beating each other.

I can't say I like medal race type scoring, but the scenario where the winner does not need to sail the last day is not perfect either IMHO.
E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:34pm
He had an accident with another boat but carried on racing after ensuring the guy was ok. Racing rules say that you should retire and stay with the damaged vessel (this is how it was explained to me apologies if this not technically accurate)). The jury awarded him a non dicardable disq. We felt that this ruling is more for offshore yachts where there is a real danger associated with accidents but 'rules is rules' and the jury had a slow day up til then!.
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

I can't say I like medal race type scoring, but the scenario where the winner does not need to sail the last day is not perfect either IMHO.

They do if they want to maintain the respect of their peers..... or at least provide the boat up for someone else, or go out on a coach boat with a video camera or do something altruistic to benefit others.  (And that's not withstanding the argument that they have a duty of care to the competition below them to race as hard as they can, to ensure other people's final race isn't imbalanced).

Sitting around like some minor deity because you don't need to race makes you look like a bit of t**ser who doesn't appreciate you are very lucky to be on holiday at a sailing regatta.... imho.

Edited by yellowwelly - 29 Jul 13 at 12:36pm
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:36pm

... but 'rules is rules' and the jury had a slow day up til then!.

Well done the IJ ...  Clap Confused

2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by yellowwelly

They do if they want to maintain the respect of their peers..... or at least provide the boat up for someone else, or go out on a coach boat with a video camera or do something altruistic to benefit others.  (And that's not withstanding the argument that they have a duty of care to the competition below them to race as hard as they can, to ensure other people's final race isn't imbalanced).

Sitting around like some minor deity because you don't need to race makes you look like a bit of t**ser who doesn't appreciate you are very lucky to be on holiday at a sailing regatta.... imho.

If you have won with a race to spare you'd be daft to race ... the IJ may give you a DNE and then you have clutched defeat from the jaws of victory.
E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:40pm
In response to the shorter qualifying, that does seem logical but I cant help thinking It might just be hind sight; up until the last day the wind had been reliable and a 6/4 race split was agreed to be optimum. The system beat me more than most (Si Mussell excluded) as I was in 17th until a breakage on the only finals day gave me 2 non dicardable DNCs and dropped me 42 places, boo!
Ah well still the best regatta I've ever done.
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:41pm
Good point, I guess....  Confused  Still, when i read about those sitting out on the shore of the last day I still think that sounds a t**ser-ish thing to do.... 
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:42pm

In response to the shorter qualifying, that does seem logical but I cant help thinking It might just be hind sight.

Well it of course is but we learn from experience; if I'm planning a split fleet regatta I will use this observation of try and avoid a similar situation.
E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 12:47pm
The IJ, yes that another story. In a class that allows pumping in over 10knot and wont races until its 6, there is rarely anything for them to do that cant be sorted on the water in a grown up 'we go sailing because we like not cause its life or death' way. This is made worse when we need 5 to authorise a worlds and their expenses are over half of the entry fee!. Does not make sailing very accessible for class that is run on good will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>