FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A what boat query

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
ifoxwell View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A what boat query
    Posted: 22 Jul 13 at 4:58pm
If you do travel upto the Medway you could come for a sale with us on our Beneteau 32s5 to get an idea of what these coastal cruisers are like. 

I have to say though as much as its great fun for family holidays up the east coast and for racing around the cans... I'm not sure Id want to go around the world in it?

Ian
RS300
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 13 at 8:32pm
Thanks Ian, a question, how easy do the masts come down, can it be done on the hoof so to speak?
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 13 at 9:15pm
- no, not on your tod or with a mate.  

But if you're planning on dutch canal motoring, or travelling on the rivers of france on a gastronomic adventure, then local yards are often in situ in most place to lay up the mast across the pulpit and transom.  
about a boat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote about  a boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 13 at 9:06am
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 13 at 9:27am
What's the story with steel hulls?

Logic suggests longevity, no osmosis, etc but what are the downsides, other than weight?

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 13 at 9:37am
painting it...
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 13 at 9:58am
I'm not sure its going to be that easy to drop the mast on anything that is seaworthy enough for bluewater sailing plus big enough to comfortably live on for extended periods.

The other thing to consider is that the masts used with bendy factional rigs don't necessarily make the strongest most seaworthy boats for surviving the worst a big sea can through at you.... 

Ian

RS300

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 13 at 10:00am
would you recommend keel step at as minimum Mark / Ian?
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 13 at 10:02am
But then again this guy has only spent a few hundred quid on a 20ft boat and he is traveling down to the med

Its not the way I'd want to do it but each to there own.

Ian
RS300
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 13 at 10:04am
Originally posted by yellowwelly

would you recommend keel step at as minimum Mark / Ian?

I'm no expert and not sure i should comment, the Beneteau is my firts yacht. But if the plan is to go down through the french canals then a keel step will leave a big hole in the roof all the time the mast is down?

Ian
RS300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>