FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tacktick repairs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Greavesie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Greavesie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tacktick repairs
    Posted: 14 Sep 16 at 4:57pm
Hi guys
Well finally after what has been a long time I finally cracked the "CAL" problem that comes up on the older Tacktick instruments.
You just need to follow the instructions on the New Zealand web site and with a bit of luck it all starts to work again with a new battery.

Tim
PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 16 at 8:37am
Thanks Greavsie.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
ColH View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 17 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Greavesie

Hi The battery change is ok if you have the correct kit. The problem you face it that the early units display an error code (ERR) when you replace the battery and you can't get rid of it.
I am happy to have a look at it if you want and say which type it is.
Let me know what you want to do.

Hi Greavsie, do you have any more info on which early models do this (how to identify one), and whether it is solvable? Mine is probably 10yrs old or more! (but does have the power jumper). I've not yet changed the battery - just looking to be prepared, in case.

Another thing I'd point out to people - be careful when sourcing a new battery. I've just been searching and have come across one which, though described as 'ML2430', isn't rechargeable.

Edited by ColH - 05 Feb 17 at 2:10pm
Greavesie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Greavesie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 17 at 9:05am
Hi ColH
The early one is the one with the power jumper and they can be tricky to get the "CAL" off the left hand display. I have found a rechargeable battery but you need to cut a leg off before you solder it in.
There is obviously a need for a repair service as I am surprised by the number of people who send me their units to repair having found this post. Having fixed quite a few now they are quite straight forward really.
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 17 at 12:37pm

Hi ColH
The early one is the one with the power jumper and they can be tricky to get the "CAL" off the left hand display. I have found a rechargeable battery but you need to cut a leg off before you solder it in.
There is obviously a need for a repair service as I am surprised by the number of people who send me their units to repair having found this post. Having fixed quite a few now they are quite straight forward really.

"Tricky"? Is that the stuff I've read about pressing the buttons when prompted by the 'Tst' displays?
I've found a similar/same battery - http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/lithium-rech-industrial-battery-ml2430-hs1-3v-100mah-abl7602.html - as you say, needs a pin trimming off.
(Got the thing apart yesterday without too much trouble; my iron at home is a bit chunky, so I need to take it into work for decent iron and some solder wick).

Greavesie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Greavesie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 17 at 12:54pm
Yes tricky is about the best way of putting it.
The first page of this post has a link to the site in New Zealand where it is all explained.
Here it is again http://www.vanaheim.co.nz/compass.htm
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 17 at 7:06pm
I think its a shame the Tacktick is taking some stick for the built-in battery. Having just taken one apart I can appreciate that its actually very well designed - a one piece clear cover, sealing with a rubber gasket around the electronics. Hall-effect buttons so that they don't need to have holes in that cover (albeit hence calibration being needed).
Its not ever-lasting, nothing electronic truly is. Especially if it has a battery. I'm impressed with the design from an engineering point-of-view, but perhaps they should have acknowledged, and *serviced*, the need for eventually replacing the battery. Mine is now needing a new battery - when a mere 12+ yrs old lol. Anyone got a 12yr old phone with fixed battery that they could get replaced when it dies..?

[And, let's get partisan, with apologies to non-uk readers, they may be Raymarine now but they began as a British startup ]

Edited by ColH - 06 Feb 17 at 7:20pm
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 11:44am

Yes tricky is about the best way of putting it.
The first page of this post has a link to the site in New Zealand where it is all explained.
Here it is again http://www.vanaheim.co.nz/compass.htm

Yep tricky indeed! When I can get it into 'the sequence', which isn't always, the first step has "F" on the end, not "P" - I'm getting same/similar fail codes mentioned in http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=75282  in particular, F72 at the end. And during "tst A1", the A1 is flashing - is that normal?
Any tips? Just keep trying? Or would it be worth dismantling, cycling the jumper again, and starting again.

Edited by ColH - 17 Feb 17 at 12:06pm
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 17 at 12:01pm
Just been sat looking at this thing again - it's stuck in Cal such that although it beeps when pressing the buttons, it won't switch off. Had this earlier today while trying to cal it - think I just pressed randomly until it starting behaving a bit more.
But anyway, I've noticed the left screen in showing 065 but goes to ~115 when the Mode button is pressed. I'd say that's some sort of diag readout of the button operation. However the right screen is alternating ~108 to ~138 every half second, and is unaffected by pressing Set (although the unit does beep). Oh and CAL in the corner is solid on left side, flashing on the right.
Not sure what any of this means, just thought I'd mention it to increase the collective knowledge!  Wink

Edited by ColH - 17 Feb 17 at 12:04pm
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 5:18pm
Any ideas, anyone.....? :S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>