FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy popularity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 38>
Author
yellowwelly View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy popularity
    Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 1:38pm
I do agree with you, and I'm not suggesting superlight weight construction at all.  But having pulled a L2K around (on my own) once, I did think, gawd... does it need to be quite this heavy?  Would shaving 20 -30, maybe 40 kags off it thorough a Mk2 project make a difference?  I believe a modest improvement could be good. 
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 1:41pm
....and as I said earlier, as soon as a boat gets the tag "Beginners Boat" no individual would touch it with a barge pole.

....can you imaging the derision it would receive either here or on SA.

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by transient

....can you imaging the derision it would receive ... on SA.

not for much longer...

Edited by yellowwelly - 05 Jul 13 at 2:00pm
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 2:04pm

....and as I said earlier, as soon as a boat gets the tag "Beginners Boat" no individual would touch it with a barge pole.

....can you imaging the derision it would receive either here or on SA.

Indeed,
perhaps what we need is aspirational boats, and a pathway toward them?

Or perhaps we are going about this the wrong way altogether?
Perhaps we need inspirational events, not equipment.

People talk about 'riding from London to Brighton' or 'doing the London Marathon' they don't talk about 'riding my raleigh' or 'running in my Nikes'.

In yachts, people clearly want to take part in the RTI, most of them don't appear too fussy about what in.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 2:05pm
The dinghy boom was driven by "beginner's boats". The Mirror, the GP14 - just the first 2 to spring to mind - could take you from 1st steps to racing at the very highest level against the best sailors in the country, and even have international competition. The odd thing is, they still can, but they are now unfashionable, and so beginners are not encouraged to sail them. Can any "recently designed" class which they are now encouraged to sail do the same?As far as I can see, the only newish 2 person adult class where you can both learn to sail in comfort and then go race to a high standard is the 2000. The RS 200 and 400 are not for a first time sailor, and none of the bigger rotomoulded  boats have a proper race circuit, as far as I'm aware.

There must be boats I'm missing, though.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 2:36pm
The Mirror and the like (me thinks) had the dominant tag "Cheap and easy to build" or a "Boat for the lower classes". Some probably viewed them as beginners boats but the movement was driven by  a social revolution, those boats had the weight of an uprising behind them, nothing like that will happen soon......Crikey we even had a breakaway SC down this neck of the woods call Artisans SC. 
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by yellowwelly

yep my wife thinks they all look the same too...even the lilac one looks the same as that damned out of class cherub, apart from the lilac of course.

You're lucky then, if you always stick to the same colour scheme, your wife need never know that you've spent more money on another new boat! Wink

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 2:44pm

Crikey we even had a breakaway SC down this neck of the woods call Artisans SC. 

haha... the google story is interesting... 'jackets and ties in the yacht club bar' mentality got a rude awakening then.

back in the good ol' days:

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 3:03pm
Maybe sailing is less popular because we no longer have to wear giant yellow lifejackets with matching yellow waterproofs?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 13 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Maybe sailing is less popular because we no longer have to wear giant yellow lifejackets with matching yellow waterproofs?

They are rather fetching aren't they Wink

During the boom years of dinghy sailing the skilled "Artisans" found themselves with more money and time......Nowadays they have less time and money. I don't think a "Beginners boat" will sort it.

I do think GRFs boat bimbling is interesting though.....bit confused on his views on jib sag though, the ability to move the centre of draft seems seems handy to me

Edited by transient - 05 Jul 13 at 3:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 38>