FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kite Depower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Fearful View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fearful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kite Depower
    Posted: 16 Aug 13 at 11:41am
Not sure how bendy your mast is but I would always recommend pulling as much downhaul/cunningham as you can get on the main. This will depower the main and should bend your mast back a bit tightening the luff of the spinnaker. Tighter the luff will make it flatter and easier to curl.

You need to be easing the spin in this situation and don't be afraid to sail the boat over on its ear as this will counter the helm.
DFF View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 13 at 11:30am
Quite an interesting thread. Good points on depowering the main.

My tuppence: 

To dump the kite you need to have three sails up or it is swimming and worse, breakages

Oversheeting is only any good if you can bear away in the gusts- presuming you are wanting to reach to a mark. I have done this in a 29er and the 59er and melges 24 and it is scary , and you need to be able to bear away.

For more powerful boats in a blow, especially the 9er boats, RS800 and m24 since we are on keel boats, you want to consider going high on white sails to be able to come down on a lower course under kite: if you see the "ear lobes" on the above boats' polar diagrams you will see why it pays to stay upright!

Edited by DFF - 30 Sep 13 at 11:31am
Crewing on a Melges 24, against my better judgement...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123