FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BVI, good for a beginner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnTS View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BVI, good for a beginner?
    Posted: 15 May 13 at 5:57pm

I am looking into charting a yacht in the BVI but have not been before plus I am a bit of a beginner. Is this a good place to go or does anyone have anyone have any recommendations?

The reason behind BVI was because it looks amazing and latesail.com seem to do some great deals

Edited by JohnTS - 15 May 13 at 5:59pm
blueboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 7:07am
I've chartered there. It's certainly gorgeous. Beginner friendly? Not so sure. It's often pretty windy. Plenty of big coral heads to go crunch-crunch on although the water is so clear there would be little excuse for that.

Btw this is primarily a forum for dinghy racers. You are more likely to get information somewhere cruising-orientated.

Edited by blueboy - 19 May 13 at 10:55am
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 9:19am
John why don't you try going on a flotilla holiday as you are a beginner. That way you get to charter your own yacht and have the support of the lead crew. Plus you will be sailing in company and it is a very sociable way to go sailing.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
JohnTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 2:37pm
Great tips thanks both. Dont like the idea of 'crunch crunch' with coral so maybe a floatilla holiday would be a good start!
Sailingfriend41 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailingfriend41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 14 at 11:10am
Hey John. I suggest booking a yacht charter in the BVI here: http://www.yachtico.com/british_virgin_islands. I chartered the BVI and it was a trip I will never forget. Because you are a beginner, Yachtico will book you a skipper at a good price and this will allow you a lot more time to relax and enjoy the BVI. That's what vacation is all about!
YachtingSummer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote YachtingSummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 14 at 11:44am
When booking a BVI charter, have in mind the so called "Christmas winds". They usually blow from November until February-March. From March on, the weather is much settled down and not so windy. If you are a beginner, I would strongly suggest that you first have initial experience in the Mediterranean. Try the Eatern Med - Greece, Turkey, Croatia, as it is not so crowded there during summer time. Try booking through http://yachtingsummer.com/ - more than 400 very well maintained yachts from 20 marinas in the Med.
YachtingSummer.com, Bareboat and Skippered Sailing Holidays from 20 marinas in the Mediterannean: Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Italy, Malta and France
SailBeat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SailBeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 8:05pm
Hi John

The BVIs are a great place to charter-I would suggest a skippered charter if your a complete newbie, makes it more of a holiday :) Have a look here for advice and where to visit :http://www.sailbeat.com/home/Destination/BritishVirginIslands/67

If you want anymore advice feel free to email me at luke@sailbeat.com I'm an agent and I know the bvis really well. Good luck Luke
Compare over 12,000 yachts for charter and sailing holidays in 43 stunning destinations.

www.sailbeat.com
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 14 at 10:32pm
When you say beginner what do you mean?

The reason I ask is that other than around the cans racing in sub 30fts and a 1wk comp crew course with the joint services sailing centre at Gosport I had no experience when I went on a Sunsail flotilla in St. Vincent for my honeymoon other than 25yrs of dinghy sailing. We had a Jeanneau Sun Odyessy 35 for me and the wife with no skipper. Other than explaining the destination each day our lead boat crew left us to it and it really was a piece of cake. They even let us do what we wanted for a whole weekend while they stayed on Union, so we went back up around Tobago Cays. As long as you can read a chart, drop an anchor or pick up a mooring then you should be fine.
There were however several rather loud yachtmasters who kept telling us that they were yachtmasters who made a pigs ear of everything. I read Tom Cunliffe's 'The complete yachtmaster' before going which helped a little but common sense is what made it easy.

Edited by craiggo - 03 Nov 14 at 10:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply