FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghies on the Beaulieu River

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghies on the Beaulieu River
    Posted: 10 May 13 at 8:11pm
I sailed a windsurfer up the river to Beaulieu once, probably timed it with the tide, and we first raced a RIB in 1976, a Flatacraft, got a picture somewhere, would show you only I'm standing in front of it getting changed, the buggers caught me with my trousers down, nothing new there then.
patj View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 13 at 8:16am
Avoid the peak times when the "big boat" yotties are going in and out in a long line for their day's sailing. In a narrow river where they're constrained by their draught and a speed limit that's about the lowest speed the engine will do before it hits neutral (so minimal steerage), it's an absolute **** trying to avoid dinghies that nip in and out between them and expect them to give way.
Alternating between forward and reverse gears was the only way to motor up Christchurch harbour in the 4 knot procession that's 5p.m. on a Sunday!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12