FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How international is sailing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How international is sailing?
    Posted: 03 May 13 at 9:44am
Just looking at the 505 worlds results, a class I had always considered to be one of the true international classes ...

It is basically just 4 nations ... GER, GBR, USA & AUS  Ouch

Outside of the Olympic Classes and Optimist which classes are getting a decent mix or are these 4 nations the powehouses of dinghy sailing?
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 9:58am
It depends on the class. You can subtract GER and add FRA, CAN and RSA for Fireballs. Enterboxes are very popular in India. Danes are usually quite strong in 5o's, too. Poland and Brazil in the Cadet class. The list goes on...

Edited by Noah - 03 May 13 at 10:02am
Nick
D-Zero 316

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 10:02am
RS700s are popular in the Czech Republic.
MrGin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrGin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 10:06am
This year is the Bi-Annual Albacore Internationals in Abersoch from 3rd-9th August.
It is held in UK waters every four years and rotates between North America, Scotland, Canada and England / Wales.

According to ISAF I think you need 7 contries to call it a world championships, otherwise you have to call it an Internationals Championships.

We have containers coming from both Canada and North America as well as a whole host of X National and World Champions from the UK.
Phil A8152 "Albaholic"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 10:16am
Sailing is totally international, it is what is sailed that isn't. I've even heard rumours that the is a spot somewhere in the world with neither a Laser nor a Sunfish nearby, but that might not be true...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Rupert

Sailing is totally international, it is what is sailed that isn't.

Particularly noticeable with keelboats. You seem to get European classes, British Commonwealth classes and Americas classes, but rarely truly worldwide ones.

Originally posted by MrGin

According to ISAF I think you need 7 contries to call it a world championships, otherwise you have to call it an Internationals Championships

I haven't heard that, but could easily be wrong. I thought with ISAF to get Worlds the class had to qualify as suitably International, with established fleets in a requisite number of countries (varies with boat size and whether its an International or recognised class).
With the International Canoe Federation, OTOH, we Canoe sailors do have to get the right number of countries to call it a worlds, to the chagrin of the asymmetric sailors.

Edited by JimC - 03 May 13 at 10:29am
MrGin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrGin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 10:34am
JimC, I think you are right, Albacores are only sailed in NA, Canada, UK and at one point in Gibralta! There are also a few in Ireland. Not enough contries for "World" status.
Phil A8152 "Albaholic"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 11:22am
Enough countries on enough continents, I think, for a worlds.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 11:30am
Crucially, the countries and continents don't have to be represented at the Worlds to maintain status. Merely showing activity in the class in that country counts.
-_
Al
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 11:46am
Contenders have participants from the UK, Australia, USA, Canada, Germany, Holland, Italy, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Switzerland and France who regularily turn up at World Championships. There may be other countries that I have missed as well or are only occasional visitors.

I think the MPS and foiling Moth may also be well attended by various international competitors.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>