FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS200 Continuous Kicker and what else?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
transient View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by jaydub

I'm not entirely sure that the use of a turning block is class legal, although having had a quick look at the rules I can't actually see anything that forbids it.

Can anybody clarify, please.  I'm interested anyway because I'm about to convert our boat.

Here's the bit that may prohibit this mod:

4.4 No additions, alterations or repairs may be made to the “RS One Design” unless specifically authorised by 
individual class appendix. 

I haven't checked the 200 appendix so it may mention in there that it's OK, if not, it aint I guess.
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 7:17pm
I believe you either have to use plastic or stainless steel rings attached to the grabrails with thin line.

A bit archaic, but that is what you get with the kicker conversion kit from LDC.

As I say, I can't see anything in the rule that specifically says you can't do what you have done.

However, why would everybody use rings if blocks are allowed?

Hopefully, somebody more knowledgeable than me will be along in a minute .........
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 8:45pm
You'd need to check with the class rules rep. but I imagine that most probably use rings etc because the continuous loop isnt under load and therefore doesn't require the bearings in a block to let it run. In other words your fix is an expensive way to do it.
Ian29937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 9:51pm
RS200 rules - "1.3.20 The order of reeving and the termination of control lines is optional the lines may be lead to
handles, bushes, eyes or small stowage bags, simple elastic take-ups are permitted provided they are
incorporated under the thwart moulding"

I think you're in trouble!

Ian
CoastWaterSports View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CoastWaterSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Ian29937

I think you're in trouble!

lol, do you think I'll get locked up  Big smile

Edited by CoastWaterSports - 10 Jun 13 at 10:25pm
-- Dinghy Chandlery - Axminster --

http://www.coastwatersports.com/

Post Options Post Options   Quote CoastWaterSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Ian29937

RS200 rules - "1.3.20 The order of reeving and the termination of control lines is optional the lines may be lead to handles, bushes, eyes or small stowage bags, simple elastic take-ups are permitted provided they are incorporated under the thwart moulding"

It doesnt say that they can lead to rings either, which are what is supplied by LDC. with their off the shelf system.

Surely a block is a glorified ring anyway, but you're right, it isn't an eye or a bush or a handle.

Anyway, its a nice solution, my son, who I bought the boat to sail with, is only 5 so i won't be going to any open meetings or nationals in the foreseeable future, and when i do, if someone who hasnt got anything better to do wants to make a fuss about it then i'll swap them over for some 'rings' for that event. I know rules are rules, but if I was adding a few inches to the height of the mast or adding extra purchase to the rig or something that mattered then fair enough, but all i'm adding is a couple of blocks, which are extra weight, and all they do is route the loose ends of some controls around a corner :)

Sorry, rant over  Smile

Edited by CoastWaterSports - 10 Jun 13 at 10:41pm

Ian29937 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 10:39pm
No, I think it's corporal!

Edited by Ian29937 - 10 Jun 13 at 10:39pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote CoastWaterSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 10:40pm
oh sh*t, I'm off down the dinghy park now  Wink

MattK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by CoastWaterSports

I cant imagine that it could be deemed as a competitive advantage

If there is no advantage why did you do it?

Post Options Post Options   Quote CoastWaterSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 13 at 8:04am
it looks tidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>