FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rigging Laser Outhaul and Downhaul

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dohertpk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dohertpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rigging Laser Outhaul and Downhaul
    Posted: 05 Feb 13 at 6:19pm
Hey! I'd appreciate any and all advice about rigging the outhaul and downhaul on a non-xd Laser. I rigged it according to the rigging guide on the Laser company website but sailing instructor wasn't too impressed. He re-rigged it with what seemed to be a quite complicated system of purchases in both outhaul and downhaul. Needless to say, I'm a total novice and I can't emulate his system. How do you rig your nonxd Laser? Does anyone use the set-up described in the official rigging manual?

Thanks for your help!
Peter
PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 13 at 6:31pm
He was probably using something like this:

which people used to do before the XD stuff became legal. You are also allowed to use thimbles in the loops, to reduce friction, or even blocks these days, though I think there are there are limitations in class rules on how many.

The one that really matters in my view is the kicker (vang). I used to have a kicker like the ones in the diagram, though I put a couple of small blocks in to replace the loops. It worked very well, and was MUCH cheaper than an XD kicker.

Edited by PeterG - 05 Feb 13 at 6:32pm
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
dohertpk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote dohertpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 13 at 6:46pm
Hey Peter thanks for that; it looks vaguely familiar although the instructions seem to presume a little too much knowledge for me to emulate. I may have a look at blocks as well so.
 Post Reply Post Reply