FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scam spam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MikeBz View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scam spam
    Posted: 20 Jan 13 at 12:22am
Do Y&Y know they are spamming us with an unfeasibly profitable container-buying scam?
furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 13 at 2:25am
It was a "news" story on the front page a few days ago, so I suspect that they do...
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 13 at 12:20pm
This story? Does seem exceptionally dodgy
-_
Al
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 13 at 3:49pm
This is a legitimate advertiser. We do have a variety of different companies, from time to time, with banner adverts and press releases on the site. Most are sailing-related I know.
All this advertising then pays for the site to keep going, hurrah!
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 13 at 4:41pm
Yeah but on the site and in my email are subtly different...
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 13 at 7:02pm
Entirely understood that the advertising is needed to run the site, but a little bit of searching brings up a lot of suspicion and "go careful" articles like this
-_
Al
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 13 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by MerlinMags

This is a legitimate advertiser. We do have a variety of different companies, from time to time, with banner adverts and press releases on the site. Most are sailing-related I know.
All this advertising then pays for the site to keep going, hurrah!

I perfectly understand that advertisers pay for the site, but to my knowledge it's the first time I've been emailed an advertisement (of arguably dubious integrity).  I have my settings set to "Receive emails from Yachts and Yachting" but if this means I will receive emails whose purpose is purely to propagate 3rd party adverts then I will switch the option off (which I don't really want to do).

Mike
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 13 at 6:23pm
In your forum settings you should see two tickboxes - mail from Y&Y, and mail from 3rd parties. The usual sort of thing.

There ought to have been some 'unsubscribe' details at the bottom of the email too. I'm sorry if that was not clear.
MattK View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 13 at 10:31pm
Mine is and always has been set to NO for third parties, and i got the message twice
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 13 at 11:14pm
Mine is and always has been set to 'no' for email from 3rd parties. I'm guessing this was a one-off error/bug as it is the first time it's happened.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>