FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got to try and do something about these spam bots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got to try and do something about these spam bots
    Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 10:11am
Is there no electronic defence against them, ever since new year they seem to have totally taken over, it must be a time consuming nightmare deleting them all the time.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 11:07am
Aye, it is getting beyond crazy
-_
Al
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 11:28am
Yes, I am working on our defences at the moment. Please bear with us at this difficult time.
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 2:00pm
thanks Mags... it's difficult to keep ahead of it and we appreciate your efforts!
Kev M View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 2:17pm

While you're at it Mags, is the version of Web Wiz Forums you're using one with mobile compatibility?

I went looking for a web wiz app/tapatalk type thing and it says that their software automatically detects mobile browsers and loads a stripped down version of the forum but from my galaxy s2 it appears no different to a desktop.  Did it come with later builds of the forum software?  I see there up to version 10.something now.

Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 2:17pm
It's hardly rocket science. Firstly use something like Captcha. That'll stop the bots. Then have a two-phase enrolment where the site sends sends the new user an email with an "activate" link which needs to be clicked before the account is activated. That''l put most spammers off.

Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Kev M

While you're at it Mags, is the version of Web Wiz Forums you're using one with mobile compatibility?

I went looking for a web wiz app/tapatalk type thing and it says that their software automatically detects mobile browsers and loads a stripped down version of the forum but from my galaxy s2 it appears no different to a desktop.  Did it come with later builds of the forum software?  I see there up to version 10.something now.

We do have a stripped-down forum at http://www.yandy.co.uk on our mobile site. It could be that your Galaxy reckons it can handle the full-size website and sticks to displaying that (or could be an error on our side with the configuration, sorry!).
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by SoggyBadger

It's hardly rocket science. Firstly use something like Captcha. That'll stop the bots. Then have a two-phase enrolment where the site sends sends the new user an email with an "activate" link which needs to be clicked before the account is activated. That''l put most spammers off.

We have always used the email activation method - I'm afraid that doesnt stop anyone. They can easily automate that and click on the links.

The CAPTCHAs too are easily defeated, sometimes by bots, but often they use humans. Much of that recent kitchen spam was clearly human in origin.

Rockhopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 2:45pm
How about no is able to join untill you have checked them out rather than the current system why ask a question about sailing first ?
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest.
2004 national champ Laser5000
2007,2010,National Champ Rs Vareo
Kev M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 13 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by MerlinMags

Originally posted by Kev M

We do have a stripped-down forum at http://www.yandy.co.uk on our mobile site. It could be that your Galaxy reckons it can handle the full-size website and sticks to displaying that (or could be an error on our side with the configuration, sorry!).

I didn't know about that link until now.  The main website is stripped down on it but the forum is just the same.  If you go to this link on a mobile device you'll see how the forum can look on a mobile platform.

http://demo.webwizforums.com/

Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>