FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK sport funding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
rogerd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK sport funding
    Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Pierre

God, I feel I should go to the naughty step, and I haven't even said anything.....

Now boys and girls, step away from the screen and get involved.

Not like you to sit on the fence.... go on say it you know you want to!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Pierre

God, I feel I should go to the naughty step, and I haven't even said anything.....

Pierre, you're always welcome to join me here, I'v been on it that long I've turned it into a naughty patio, complete with the virtual bodies of Wood botherers, Cherub sailors and Laser kids buried under it.
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 4:49pm
I'm thinking of crawling under a rock near the patio tbh.  I don't get what the 'problem' is.

The RYA get funding to channel into youth development with primary function of winning medals.  It boosts country morale... along with Bradley Wiggins's sideburns.  

The RYA deliver on this; good oh, safe set of hands that Sparky fella.  And thankfully due to a decent internet & DTV service, we've finally been able to enjoy watching it and writing off two weeks of productivity glued to pixelated images and Mark Jardine's twitter feed.  It's given us lots to discuss and joke about- even Ben Ainslie's alleged lack of tactical awareness... the bar has been reset for sailing fora bullsh*t, nice one Grumpf LOL 

well done RYA. well done Ben Ainslie et al. Well done Grumpf.

Now then, pray tell me why tax payer's money should fund grassroots sailing so little Tabitha and cousin Johnny have a taxpayer funded hot shower installed?  Really, folks... welcome to a 1st World issue.

winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by pondmonkey

Now then, pray tell me why tax payer's money should fund grassroots sailing so little Tabitha and cousin Johnny have a taxpayer funded hot shower installed?  Really, folks... welcome to a 1st World issue.

Totally agree.  A lot of the medal winning type money in fact comes from the public hopelessly lashing out on scratch cards and the like.  For the rest, the government has said it will not fund people's hobbies any more, which is fair enough.  Most of the schemes I mentioned earlier will still exist in this funding round, but if your club hasn't taken interest by now, it may be too late as there is belt tightening going on everywhere.

the same, but different...

gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 6:08pm
The taxpayer should fund grassroots sport because it is cheaper to do so than to fund medical treatment for the inactive and the unfit... prevention rather than cure.

It is especially important to fund children's and youth sport to establish good habits that will continue in later life.

Gordon

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 6:19pm
Actually I think you'd find that government intervention isn't needed; nature and society will take care of itself with current lifestyle trends in play- it'll help mitigate the pension timebomb too if we all check out a bit earlier.

If we must have Government investment in sport, then truthfully sailing a) costs too much to offer reasonable ROI and b) probably wouldn't hit medical/sports science guidelines for calorific burn per hour to justify the investment (on health grounds alone)

Edited by pondmonkey - 20 Dec 12 at 6:20pm
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 6:40pm

And for what it's worth, kids probably just dump sailing 'cos it pretty dull compared to other things like kitesurfing, beer and fanny.... 

Memories are fading a bit Jimbo, but oh how times have changed. As as a spotty adolescent in the early 70s I recall that the cheap and plentiful supply of 2 and 3 were the primary reason for joining a sailing club. The boats were OK too.

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 6:43pm
Cheap fanny hey? My you do paint a delightful picture of virtue for sailing girls of the 70's.... oddly enough the boats haven't changed that much though have they?

Edited by pondmonkey - 20 Dec 12 at 6:44pm
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by iGRF

[QUOTE=2547]

He's a bloody Brit as I had to keep reminding him, I haven't seen him in ten years and the last time we met I wasn't exactly myself, recovering from extreme head trauma, so we had a lot to catch up, he was a dinghy sailor who became a racing windsurfer after we met when he was an Apprentice sailmaker, worked for me for a bit before getting head hunted by Gaastra then he ended up in Aus, interesting he's now ended up in Lasers, reckons there's 45 - 50 on a Sunday in Sydney Harbour most weeks.

45-50 Lasers on a Sunday in Sydney Harbour?  We've had 52 race so far this year in our club alone (not all at once, though), and there's four other fleets within 6km, plus another 10 fleets in other parts of the city. Typical fields for most clubs on an average weekend would be from 6 to 32 boats.

It's interesting to see how a strong scene can evolve, and "evolve" would be the operative word as there is no over-arching scheme or organisation.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 12 at 8:44pm

Don't even get me half started.... I am 1000% in favour of this, UK tax money being spent in this country... much rather 'Johnny' in Britain than 'Johnny foreigner', sick and tired of "foreign aid" that just ends up in swiss bank accounts or child soldiers hands.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>