FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK sport funding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
scotsfinn View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote scotsfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK sport funding
    Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 8:52pm
Cummon GRF ... It's nearly Christmas look on the bright side. All that money might generate skills enough to understand the V Twin tub and even make it go. 

V Twin for 2020 campaign Thumbs Up starts here
Largs Sailing Club. D-Zero GBR 57, B14 744
www.blueseaconsultingllp.com
sargesail View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 9:02pm
Don't feed him....

Altho V-Dub as the catamaran mixed event....

On second thoughts what chick would be seen on it?
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by 2547

In was way is it dubious? Seems to deliver medals. 

Really, the way i saw it the Aussies kicked our arse on our home waters.

I think you have to look over multiple cycles and all classes to assess a performance programme. 
scotsfinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scotsfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 9:17pm
Multiple cycles ... Ideal for he V Twin tub!

I was only joking about synchronised swimming ... But they got £4.3m .... How about best multiple fleet capsize event for 2016 ..  Or Synchronised sinking 

Edited by scotsfinn - 18 Dec 12 at 9:23pm
Largs Sailing Club. D-Zero GBR 57, B14 744
www.blueseaconsultingllp.com
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 10:08pm
My Chum's over here from Aus at the moment, giving it all the we this and we that and marvelling at their coaches and tactical superiority, he's back in lasers funnily enough then telling me about this book I should read by some Aussie called Bethwaite, have you any idea how this all sticks in the craw of any self respecting Brit with a sailing history?

Knowing as I do from bitter experience of all the flaws of those that would tutor and coach our young aspirants and the power they wield with that cash?
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by iGRF

My Chum's over here from Aus at the moment, giving it all the we this and we that and marvelling at their coaches and tactical superiority, he's back in lasers funnily enough then telling me about this book I should read by some Aussie called Bethwaite, have you any idea how this all sticks in the craw of any self respecting Brit with a sailing history?

Easy antidote - show him a bicycle or a cricket bat. Then tell him to eff off behind the bar and serve you a drink LOL
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 11:15pm

We should remember that in 1996 at Atlanta, last Olympics before all the funding arrived, Great Britain won 1 Gold Medal, and a grand total of 15, GB were 36th in the Medal Table (all sports).

Compare that to 2012 with 29 Gold, 65 in total and 3rd in the Medal Table.

Google the cost of Olympic Medals and there is a shed load of data which you interpret in any way you like, and probably come to whatever conclusions you wish, and our Aussie friends seem to make a bit of fuss over it too, they weren't so happy about the swimming remember...

What the Aussie press were saying.....
http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/off-the-field/what-price-medals-20120810-23zua.html

In 2012 an Olympic medal cost UK sport around £4m each, sailing was around £4.5m with £22.9m funding leading up to the games and 5 medals.
You obviously get different figures if you choose to look just at just Gold Medals, but UK Sport sets overall medal targets (or at least asks the sports themselves to) and achievement or failure is based on total medals of any colour.

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 12 at 11:18pm
Tell him the only reason you're finishing your sentences with the word 'mate' is to make him feel at home.  It doesn't actually mean you are really 'friends'.  

Failing that, remind him about the taking folks in shackles for 6 weeks at sea thing... is it any wonder the only ones who survived the journey would have a natural affinity towards ocean sports?  They've got sea legs built into their DNA.  Hardly much of an accolade when you view it like that.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 6:52am

As said, this funding goes to the "elite" level in its entirety- campaigning a boat around the world is not a cheap business and commercial sponsorship isn't as generous as the logos everywhere might suggest. 

The sportengland money announced on Monday meanwhile goes to the grass roots- you'll see facilities and club boats up and down the country with sportengland logos (and those of the equivalent bodies in Wales and Scotland).

-_
Al
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 12 at 7:11am
Even though I live in the south of england, I do hope this means that more <of the great> clubs around the country will get some funds to promote the sport.  Apart from a few glorious weeks this year, Weymouth is a) a PITA to get to/from and b) not all that nice, IMO, when you do get there
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>