FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hiking an SB3 (20)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiking an SB3 (20)
    Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 10:32am
I didn't think you were allowed to hike out in an SB3?

gbr940 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbr940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 10:51am
great find...class rules state, you're not allowed!!
RS400 GBR1321
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 11:21am
Maybe he isn't hiking  - maybe he is "looking round the sailors in front of him to get a better view"...

Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
MattK View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 11:53am
Hiking is not allowed on the granny bar, but there are foot loops at the back for downwind

The helm must be in these straps as otherwise he would be raised up more if sitting on the bar illegally, this shot looks like reaching into a top mark, sailed and backstay eased off and already getting the weight back, normally upwind the bowman would be at the shroud point, which he isnt in this shot, although its hard to see from this perspective, the shroud are 150mm forward of the granny bar, which he is clearly sat alongside not slightly in front of
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 12 at 6:37am
C.3.3 POSITIONING
(a) When hiking or sitting outboard, crews shall sit facing inboard in such a
way that the base of their spine or legs are not on or over the side rails, or
outside the forward extension of the line of the side rails,
(b) No device, method or sheet may be used to implement or assist hiking or
sitting outboard other than the foot straps.

I assume "side rails" means the granny bars. In that case someone astern of the granny bars can hike as much as they like and the foot straps permit them.

I'm slightly surprised however that helm can get that far outboard and still be in the foot straps.  As a middle-man I tend to put one foot in a strap to give some stability when trimming the kite (which is a beast) and that leaves me hiking a bit but nowhere near as far as that helm is shown.
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 12 at 11:31am
I don't think it is the helm.  Looks like the number 2 to me.

This looks like the kind of controversy that can rumble on throughout a championship, causing il-feeling and generating a poisonous atmosphere. It is also the kind of problem that an be nipped in the bud by having a jury on the water. Let them judge rule 42 and any sitting out rules directly. The International Jury have to be there anyway. So the only additional cost is providing a couple of RIBS, some sandwiches and a bottle or two of water.
Gordon
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 12 at 12:12pm
The lack of other boats in the vicinity suggests to me that they may not be racing. 
Perhaps on their way to/from the course? In which case they can hike all they like.
furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 12 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by gordon

I don't think it is the helm.  Looks like the number 2 to me.

This looks like the kind of controversy that can rumble on throughout a championship, causing il-feeling and generating a poisonous atmosphere. It is also the kind of problem that an be nipped in the bud by having a jury on the water. Let them judge rule 42 and any sitting out rules directly. The International Jury have to be there anyway. So the only additional cost is providing a couple of RIBS, some sandwiches and a bottle or two of water.

It's definitely the helm - the elbow of the only other candidate is clearly in front of him. In order to be that far out of the boat he must be using the footloops, which means he must be further back than the grab rail therefore no problem.

I'm sure they will be far more incriminating photos than this one over the course of the regatta...
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 12 at 6:44am
Yet again this could be a perfectly innocent move. We do not know how long he was "hiking" for.

Could it be the helmsman who is leaning out for a brief second to get his line to the next mark?
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 12 at 8:16am
Here's the relevant class rule:

C.3.3 POSITIONING
(a) When hiking or sitting outboard, crews shall sit facing inboard in such a
way that the base of their spine or legs are not on or over the side rails, or
outside the forward extension of the line of the side rails,
(b) No device, method or sheet may be used to implement or assist hiking or
sitting outboard other than the foot straps.

So if the helm is leaning out using the foot straps then all is good. This wouldn't normally happen upwind as you need your weight further forward, but as they're coming up to the windward mark and have cracked off a bit, the helm has moved back for the bearaway and is hiking hard either to see where he's going or to keep the boat flat to assist in bearing away (or both).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>