FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gopro Horizon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Richard20Sailing View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Richard20Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gopro Horizon
    Posted: 10 Dec 12 at 1:47pm
Does any one know of an editing solution to keep the horizon flat with a go pro shot. My pinnacle soft wear will allow me to rotated the images but I would  need to rotated each frame to show the boat leaning over in the gusts. A soft wear solution would be feasible and much easier than a mechanical trimble device.

Thanks for any ideas. My favorit mount is on a boom extension.

Edited by Richard20Sailing - 10 Dec 12 at 1:50pm
To many shackles are never enough.
Solitaireblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Solitaireblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 13 at 10:15pm

Interesting question which I’m afraid I don’t know at present, but my other interest is photography so will have a look to see if I can find software which might do what you want. I do use something similar for still editing in Photoshop so guess with any luck there may be the equivalent for video editing.

tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 13 at 11:05am
It will be a lot easier to get a mechanical device to do it. The problem that is the further it heels the further you will need to crop into the video to not show the obvious rotation (the corners will move). This will lose a lot of quality and look odd at best. If you are happy for the edges to be rough then it is possible.
Needs to sail more...
Richard20Sailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Richard20Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 13 at 11:31am
Thanks for your interest. I think an editing solution will be better than a mechanical one because I have enough trouble mounting the camera with the complexity of a well made grimble device. The Go Gro footage has resolution to burn so I think a manipulative image will still be watchable.

When the boom mounted camera has slipped/rotated I have mannually straightened the image using the Pinnacle software. I have put an example of this up on you tube after I had a child over board.

I think it would look better if every frame had a straight horizon.
Any solutions welcome.
To many shackles are never enough.
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 13 at 12:18pm
You could build a self leveling mount. Lots of the RC world do and quite a few vids on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaX_K2c-HUc
 Post Reply Post Reply