FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going dead downwind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going dead downwind
    Posted: 04 Dec 12 at 2:37pm
The only time my board gets adjusted is when i leave the shore and when i came back :)

I also found that in the 600 i was as quick leaving it down, i felt you could play the boat on any waves more aggressively/ confidently as the boat remained more stable and I didn't have to panic about the leeward mark and getting it back down again.
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 12 at 10:20pm
I bow to Jim Hunt's advice but I did say light airs only. My comment was based particularly on experience of sailing past (and through) about 10 boats at a Solo Open Meeting on a broad reach in a Force 1 sitting mostly forward of the thwart and heeling slightly to windward. But at 77kgs I'm not that heavy. I agree with other posters who say that you want to heel it enough to get neutral helm, not lee helm.

Jimbo: re training, I am sure that if you get onto the Association, they might agree to send a couple trainers along one weekend.  I would have thought that the Draycote Solo fleet would have done this in the past anyway.  
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 12 at 3:13pm
Hi,

"Colin, interesting that you are broaching dead downwind mate. I have never had this in a Solo, even in stupid winds. I have had a few 'Tank Slappers' but i always have a hand on the board control line to help get me out of jail. Jimbo, given Hunty a call mate if you want some cleaer understanding of what i was saying."

That's not quite what I meant...
On a dead run (Solo), I have only the "tiller nut" problems in steady winds. However, if I get hit by a gust - remember that I'm sailing inland on an old gravel pit - then there's a tendency for the Solo to gripe to windward. Using the rudder to correct this requires a lot of weather hem - slowing the boat - so the gust appears to be stronger.
By heeling to windward, the boat doesn't grip, and I can steer without putting on the brake...

Cheers,

Colin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456