FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser luff tube claim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser luff tube claim
    Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 2:38pm
Eldest son did the usual with the top section & sail.
No quibble with the top section but the sail didn't rip into the panel so our insurer wants to repair. One sailing colleague has suggested this may render the sail illegal, another thinks that Laser rules permits up to 75% of the luff tube can be replaced.

Any wisdom gratefully recieved.
Fraggle View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 4:00pm
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 4:17pm
someone here had such a claim and the insurers simply coughed for a new sail.  I think there were multiple tears though.
the same, but different...

LASERNUT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote LASERNUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 4:43pm
Done loads of these. Legal if it only a small section of the sleeve but not if it is in the panel of the sail.
Sailmakers https://morgan-sails.com/
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 5:10pm
Thanks Fraggle
26.d. Sail panels and luff sleeves shall not be replaced.

Doesn't mention patching, and doesn't make distinction beteen luff tube or panel.
Now even more confused.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by piglet

even more confused

Section 26.a says that you can make repairs. However section 26.d says these cannot be whole panels/whole luff tube.

So I'd say this means the original material needs to stay in place and be patched. Its a sensible way of ensuring there aren't any "accidental" shape changes.

Edited by JimC - 26 Nov 12 at 5:26pm
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 5:27pm
a Repairs to the sail may be carried out without violation of these Rules provided such repairs are made in such a way that the essential shape, characteristics or function of the original are not affected.

(I removed some superfluous bits)

I read part d as stopping you from replacing the entire luff tube (which might allow you to alter the sail shape/setting/relationship to the mast) But part a clearly allows repairs.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 12 at 5:29pm
Also, Jim is much faster than me at computering...
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 12 at 11:27am
I had something similar - the sail was awful afterwards - never looked the same again.
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 12 at 11:37am
I really don't understand why the insurance companies still cover Laser top sections and ripped sails. This is surely just wear and tear and will happen to most Laser rigs in due course.

If they were to exclude these claims then they could reduce the premium. I bet you they have a few a week when it is windy.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>