FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Cruising forum?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gavin74 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gavin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Cruising forum?
    Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 4:30pm

Hi,

New to this sailing business, but coming from a sea kayaking background I notice the gap in information /trip reports on dinghy cruising.

I’m not sure how big this part of Dinghy sailing is.  But for me cruising appeals to me more than racing.  But where as in the sea kayaking world I can pick up books or access websites with trip reports/ideas I can’t find anything on dinghy cruising.

Is this something that just isn’t in demand?  I’m talking about anything from a trip from one beach to another for a picnic with the kids to multi days trips up north around the western isles.

I’ll write up and post my own reports if people are interested.

Thanks

alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 4:39pm
The Dinghy Crusing Association don't seem to be very active online- and the shots of their newsletter front pages do look rather "retro" in a "this is not deliberately retro, we're actually stuck in the 70s/80s style wise" sort of way.
-_
Al
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:46pm
Far more people cruise (as in "sail around", rather than in "go on voyages")  dinghies than race them, but possibly they spend less time talking about it on line.

I'm sure there are websites with chat rooms out there somewhere catering for them, but it may be that they are spread out thinly?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
andybury View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote andybury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 6:23pm
Hi Gavin 
Contact Ed from the GP14 Association (see link below) he will be more than helpful. We a currently working on upgrading our cruising section as we also see it as a growth area.

http://www.gp14.co.uk/class/committee.php

I also have a sea kayak and love it.

Andy

Gavin74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gavin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 9:48am
Thanks for the replies.

Do we need to ask Y&Y for a dedicated forum?

Andy  - thanks for the link to the GP14 site.  I'm looking for a GP14 as my first proper boat.  I've another post of the "chosing a boat" forum re the difference between an Amos or Fibredon frp GP14, do you have any ideas?

Sea kayaking is great, but not very family friendly given the age of my kids and day passes out are getting few and far between.  I'm hoping dinghy sailing is something we can all do.
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 9:01pm
DCA Journal is one of the finest sailing magazines  I know. Read it

Gordon
andybury View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote andybury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:35am
Hi Gavin
Just finding out for you should have an answer back today.

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 2:14pm
We could add another section to these forums if there was demand. So far I think the racing focus of Y&Y has probably not attracted the cruising types!

For the record, I'm equally taken with crusing and racing. Here's a perfect opportunity for me to pimp a relevant link..... www.sailransome.org

The DCA are a very active bunch - don't let anyone's thoughts about retro website photos put you off! Maybe there is a little less carbon fibre and trapezing, but they do get out on the water very frequently.

Edited by MerlinMags - 14 Nov 12 at 2:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply